Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: How did you become paralyzed?

Day before Easter in April of 2000, I was 17. For all my childhood years before that, Easters were spent at my family's house and we would have relatives from northern Minnesota come over for dinner. But that year we decided to do something different. We drove up north on the day before Easter to take our relatives out to eat. On the ride home a deer jumped in front our SUV, we swerved to miss and it rolled over. My mom, dad, brother, and sister were all fine, thankfully. I was left a C5-6 quadriplegic. Ever since then I haven't been a big fan of change.

Quote Originally Posted by 47+years View Post
    I think we all want to believe our little ones are safe if they are in their car seats, so they need to ask if you were in one.

Car wreck here...A drunk driver ran us off the road in 1964. C5/C6
    ah ic.... well they aren't lol just as a seatbelt isn't some guarantee you're safe in a car accident, it just minimizes damage done(or in rare cases being the thing that kills you)

but ty for clarifying!! i honestly just thought ppl thought my parents were bad parents(and honestly, my mom thought so too)
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

I was living life and a neck pain that would not go away revealed a Intermedullary Ependymoma. Had Surgery to remove the tumor and woke up with a surgically induced SCI.

Car accident...Was a passenger in the back seat in a car full of friends..another car ran a stop sign & I was ejected out. T4 spinal cord injury & I was the only one hurt.
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Was flying along, when me and the earth had it out. The earth might have won, but I sure put a good dent in the ground.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Quote Originally Posted by flying View Post
    Was flying along, when me and the earth had it out. The earth might have won, but I sure put a good dent in the ground.
    lol, the earth'll think twice next time!

glad to see you're still flying.
    T11 Asia A after near-fatal bike crash.. Just happy to still be here

No, I didn't loose my mind... It got scared and ran away!!

I dove off a pier into a river. My avatar is a picture taken from the spot I dove from.

I had a spinal infarct the morning of May 25, 1992 while sitting in the passenger seat of our car on a trip to Lake Constance. Yup, we were living in Germany and we didn't hit anything, stop fast, etc. C6/7 incomplete due to no known cause. Cheers!
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

sitting at a red light @ 8:30 a.m. on way to work (i was a passenger). rearended by vehicle going over 80 mph. c7. never had a chance. 1986. headrest was bent 90 degrees back and driver apparently flew into me, wedging me between my seat and door. no idea how my seatbelt got undone. driver didn't have his on. i did.

Does anyone else relive their accident (in their mind), how it happened, why it happened and/or how it could have been avoided?

Doing this doesn't help at all, in fact it can make you feel worse...but it's hard to avoid.