Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: How did you become paralyzed?

Quote Originally Posted by KyleP2112 View Post
    In a way it helps to hear how others' injuries happened...to know you aren't alone. Everyone here has quite a story to tell.
    My injury happened when I was 17 on a trampoline. It was the first and last time I used one of these large backyard trampolines. I hurt my neck (at c4/5) when my brother accidentally landed on top of me as I was sort of sitting position. Of course, we both wish my injury happened differently but what can you do... Though my injury was incomplete I was on a vent for about 2 months, which I got off of in rehab at Kessler in NJ. It's been a long road but I've had a good amount of recovery (though not enough) and can move my arms (and wrists) pretty well.
    I hate, hate, hate my nephew's backyard trampoline.
    I'm going to take a knife to it the next time they are out of town.

crypticgimp, were you in a car seat?
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

5 years ago today my daughter and I were rear-ended by a garbage truck when the traffic in front of me slowed down. She brought it up last night.
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Freak Motorcycle Accident out in middle of no where Broke my neck and mid back

I try not to think of those memories

Another motorcycle accident here! Gave it a bit too much throttle accelerating up a slip-road onto the motorway, slipped back on the seat and it went up into a wheelie, crapped myself and let go of the throttle (instead of gently easing off or pulling clutch in). The front came down hard and the back wheel locked up under engine braking and did tank-slapper and went into the fence at the side of the motorway. Just a bit of bad luck and inexperience, I was lucky someone saw it because my bike was hidden in the undergrowth. Pretty embarassing crashing in a straight line!

Broke left clavical, every rib on my right side, lacerated my right lung pretty badly, both lungs collapsed. Tore my diaphram, ruptured liver and splien, and a burst fracture of my T11 Vertabrae. Nobody thought i'd live, even the surgeon told my friends and family not to get their hopes up! The first operation was 10 hours long, and I had 80 Units of blood put into me!!! Another 4 Hr op the next day, and it was 2 weeks before I was stable enough to be put on my front to fix my spine.

At least no-one else was involved and I've got no-one to blame but myself, made it a lot easier to come to terms with it. I was more upset about my bike than I was myself! Just a case of shit happens, I could have easily fallen off a ladder at the constuction site and ended up in a chair.

Michael, hope you get back to at least a bit of normality soon, when you're out of the nursing home and everything's healed up properly.
    T11 Asia A after near-fatal bike crash.. Just happy to still be here

No, I didn't loose my mind... It got scared and ran away!!

Quote Originally Posted by november View Post
    I hate, hate, hate my nephew's backyard trampoline.
    I'm going to take a knife to it the next time they are out of town.

crypticgimp, were you in a car seat?
    yes... i was in a car seat (why does everyone ask that question?) lol my older brother was too and was also injured.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Car accident fot Sarah.

Damn shallow pool for me, July 4th 1993 aged 19. C6-C7...................

Quote Originally Posted by crypticgimp View Post
    yes... i was in a car seat (why does everyone ask that question?) lol
    I think we all want to believe our little ones are safe if they are in their car seats, so they need to ask if you were in one.

Car wreck here...A drunk driver ran us off the road in 1964. C5/C6

Fell out of a pecan tree, they say I was around 35 feet up,I do not remember just remember I was getting ready to climb down. T7/8 complete Do not remember falling or anything one minute I was getting ready to climb down out of the tree the next thing I knew I was in a hospital 45 minutes away Carolinas Medical center....

Car accident. Flipped my truck on a nasty curve March 20th, 1994. I don't remember it at all (yes, I was sober at 10am). I was ejected 73 feet from where my truck landed. T-10 complete.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994