Thread: Don't know how to handle this.

Don't know how to handle this.

I have mentioned on here a few times that I teach a 3 to 6 year old Sunday School class. I have been teaching it for a couple of years. I am ready to step down from this teaching position, but I don't know the proper way to go about doing it. I would want to give them enough time to find a replacement. I had a meeting with my pastor about this class a month ago. I thought they were looking for someone to come in and help me, but they haven't found anyone.

I'm just so frustrated with this class. I'm leaving the class feeling frustrated and like a failure. There is always one or two in the class that will not listen to me at all. They don't do well with answering review questions which shows me that they aren't listening very well. I just feel like I"m not getting to them. They would be better with someone else teaching them. Someone that can make things more fun and exciting. Things seem to get out of hand and I can't get their attention back on the topic when I try to do something to make the lesson more fun. I also think this age group needs someone that can be more active with them. Like a few weeks ago when someone was helping me, she was dancing with the kids before class started.

I'm also wanting to explore helping out with the teenagers. I don't want to continue teaching this class if I do that. But that is where I don't know how to go about things. I want to talk to the youth pastor and start going to youth group on Wednesdays, but I wanted to wait a few weeks until he got settled. But I want to check it out soon to see if it is something I would even be interested in doing. I just don't know what steps to take with this right now.

it seems you need to talk to your pastor again. this shouldn't be such a source of anguish, he is there to provide comfort and a safe environment in order for you to express how you feel. gl!
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

They're 3 to 6 yrs old. They have the attention span of a newt basically. It takes patience and an understanding of that age group. It's also a reason why there are so few male teachers in that age group, they can drive ya nuts.

For myself, I loved the little ones, it was the middle schoolers I didn't really appreciate.

Don't put yourself down because a couple of kids are doing what they do best; driving adults mad by being inattentive. I'm sure every parent here will attest to the crazy two's on up.

Best way to approach your pastor is to tell him the truth; that you've realized that age group is not in yours or their best interest. The reason he may not have found anyone to help is because no one wants to be around 3-6 yr olds that aren't theirs.

Thanks for the advice. I have decided that I am going to step down from this position after Mother's Day or by the end of May. I have a craft to do with them for Mother's day. The kids need someone else in there. Someone that can be more active with them and someone that knows how to get on their level. Today was difficult, which was expected with it being Easter. Holidays are always harder. I had 8 kids in class and only had enough material from the curriculum for 6. I ended up not even doing some of the material since we only had enough for 6 children. But thankfully I did bring two extra crafts just in case we had extra.

One girl came in early and I gave her one of the pictures to color, but she was being difficult, like usual, and didn't want to color it. I ended up giving her picture to another children since she didn't want to color it. She agreed with that at first, but then after a few minutes she decided she wanted a picture to color. So of course she started crying because there weren't any left. This is the kind of things that I deal with on a weekly basis and it gets frustrating. That frustration is being to show in my responses to the children, so I know it's time for me to step away from this class.

I will probably let them know that I am willing to be an assist or substitue for this age group occasionally or the age group above mine. That is the age that I really want to work with if I don't help with the teenagers. I really just want what is best for this class and I realize that I'm not that. I think one reason this has gotten to be so difficult is because I don't want to give this class up because I feel like a failure in doing that, but I have to think about what is best for the children.

My Pastor's wife will probably end up taking over the class if they can't find someone else to take it. I just don't want that to be put on her if it's not something she would want to do though. I wish I knew someone that I could suggest that may be interested in taking this class. But the truth is not many people like working with this age group.

As Patrick said, they are 3-6 year old, it isn't you it's them. I have 6 nephew and nieces in that age range that I just spend the weekend around and even with the grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles and family friends there they couldn't be corralled and their attention kept on anything for long. So don't feel a failure, feel like you did your best for those hellions and move on.
    Most everything I say is

I agree with TexasWheelz

Sometimes Leaving a position or job etc... is the best way to take care of #1 You

I have stepped down quite a few times in my life because in my case if I feel
    boxed in or Bored , pressured or whatever Back then I used to over do everything to Rectify the problematic areas . Dont feel guilty or sad or mentally tear yourself up ... Life is too short for undue stress ...
    And now I look back and realize that a huge weight burden is lifted off me ...
    Wishing you the best
    Sincerely ;
    GL

Quote Originally Posted by faith9778 View Post
    One girl came in early and I gave her one of the pictures to color, but she was being difficult, like usual, and didn't want to color it. I ended up giving her picture to another children since she didn't want to color it. She agreed with that at first, but then after a few minutes she decided she wanted a picture to color. So of course she started crying because there weren't any left.
    That sounds pretty typical for a 3-6 year old.
    Daniel

They are so innocent in so many ways. One of my favorite stories is that I would make sure the kindergartners' went to the bathroom before coming back into class. A young boy came sloshing up to me in his cowboy boots. He said in a voice so proud that he didn't need to go to the bathroom anymore.