Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I cannot believe how much more expensive chairs are in the UK!!

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    Ditto, I've been seriously thinking of immigrating to Canada for the healthcare. There was a NPR article a couple years ago about a woman with my condition immigrating back to Europe because she couldn't afford the medical care here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkleraptor View Post
    wow. this is making me second guess my amazing idea of trying to find work at some point in Canada to avoid being uninsured here. Maybe I'm screwed either way

Note that Canada is notoriously unfriendly to immigrants with disabilities: http://www.ccdonline.ca/en/socialpol...lusion/hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Timaru View Post
    I fail to see how you are not VAT exempt.

All you have to do when you buy the chair is sign a form stating that you can hardly walk and the dealer will drop the 20% VAT. It really is that simple, it's up to the dealers discretion, if he can see you need a chair it's deal done, no medical or Doctors letter etc. just you signing the declaration.
    Quote Originally Posted by ipenguin View Post
    Hmmm.That's interesting. I didn't know that. The info I saw wasn't very helpful. Thank you...I'll look into it more
    Sorry this is so long, it's the template declaration from HMRC site.......

10.1 Eligibility declaration by a disabled person

Please note there are penalties for making false declarations
    Customer
    If you are in any doubt as to whether you are eligible to receive goods or services zero-rated for VAT you should consult Notice 701/7 VAT reliefs for disabled people or contact our National Advice Service on 0845 010 9000 before signing the declaration.
    I (full name) .................................................. ............................
    of (address) .................................................. ............................
    .................................................. ................................................
    declare that:
    • I am chronically sick or have a disabling condition by reason of: (give full and specific description of your condition); and that
    • I am receiving from: (name and address of supplier)
      * the following goods which are being supplied to me for domestic or my personal use:
      (description of goods)
      * the following services to adapt goods to suit my condition:
      (description of services and goods)
      * the following services of installation, repair or maintenance of goods:
      * the following alterations to my private residence:
      (description of alteration)
      * the services of monitoring a personal alarm call system
    and I claim relief from value added tax.
    .................................................. .............................. (Signature)
    .................................................. ...................................... (Date)
    Supplier
    I (full name) .................................................. ................................
    of (address) .................................................. ................................
    .................................................. .................................................. ..
    am supplying to the person named above:
    * the following goods:
    (description of goods)
    * the following services of adapting goods:
    * the following services of installation, repair or maintenance of goods:
    * the following alterations to a private residence:
    (description of alteration)
    * the services of monitoring a personal alarm call system
    for the personal use of the disabled person.
    .................................................. .............................. (Signature)
    .................................................. ...................................... (Date)
    *Delete words not applicable

Quote Originally Posted by SuprSi View Post
    Yep, we get ripped off big time!

I'm waiting for my first lightweight chair to arrive, a Kuschall K4. I've spec'd it with the breathable back, 25" spinergies, and a royal blue frame and matt chrome casters and forks, and adjustable rear axle... £3000 which is nearly $4800!! Can't wait for it to arrive though, get out of the tank of a wheelchair i'm in now (invacare action 3 )
    Wow! Let me know how it goes! I'm excited for you

Hey Timaru - Thank you. I've got a meeting with the OT on tuesday. I'm going to push harder than I have been, otherwise I get the sense I won't get anywhere...Big day!

Quote Originally Posted by ipenguin View Post
    Wow! Let me know how it goes! I'm excited for you
    Cheers, good luck with your tilite too. I'll be sure to get some pics when I get it.
    T11 Asia A after near-fatal bike crash.. Just happy to still be here

No, I didn't loose my mind... It got scared and ran away!!

I have a friend from Greece that comes over to the US about once a year for a week. While he's here he always buy's clothes, shoes, video games, etc., I asked him one time why all the shopping and he told me that the prices in Greece were about double that of the same product in the US. He showed me a video game that he bought here in the US and said that he paid around $50 for it, but in Greece the same game was right at $100. So I don't blame him for going on a shopping spree while here.
    SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
    T4,5,6 Incomplete
    Chair: TiLite TR3

Quote Originally Posted by stumpybushman View Post
    I have a friend from Greece that comes over to the US about once a year for a week. While he's here he always buy's clothes, shoes, video games, etc., I asked him one time why all the shopping and he told me that the prices in Greece were about double that of the same product in the US. He showed me a video game that he bought here in the US and said that he paid around $50 for it, but in Greece the same game was right at $100. So I don't blame him for going on a shopping spree while here.
    Thats sorted then Stumpy....get the BBQ fired up, all us UK guys over to yours for a spot of retail therapy

Quote Originally Posted by SuprSi View Post
    I'm waiting for my first lightweight chair to arrive, a Kuschall K4. I've spec'd it with the breathable back, 25" spinergies, and a royal blue frame and matt chrome casters and forks, and adjustable rear axle... £3000 which is nearly $4800!! Can't wait for it to arrive though, get out of the tank of a wheelchair i'm in now (invacare action 3 )
    Sounds nice Si, i remember when i went from a tank to a 'properly fitted' lightweight, it will make life soooooo much better when you have it dailed in.

The blue and matt chrome combo sounds cool, don't be shy with the pics when it comes!

Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    Note that Canada is notoriously unfriendly to immigrants with disabilities: http://www.ccdonline.ca/en/socialpol...lusion/hawking

Boy, that made me sad. Nothing like being seen as a burden wherever you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkleraptor View Post
    Boy, that made me sad. Nothing like being seen as a burden wherever you go.
    We have to remind ourselves that we're not. In fact it took a tutor at college to tell me any chance she could that I'm not getting any special treatment, all I'm getting is what is morally right in order to give me a fair shot at life (She was incredible)