Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I cannot believe how much more expensive chairs are in the UK!!

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    Ditto, I've been seriously thinking of immigrating to Canada for the healthcare. There was a NPR article a couple years ago about a woman with my condition immigrating back to Europe because she couldn't afford the medical care here.
    I have visions of Vancouver. I don't want to pay taxes to two countries though so we'll see how cheap I get I don't have the experience yet to apply for work in Canada yet anyway

As long as I can swing it I'm cool with buying my own equipment and minor things and stuff. If I get hit by a truck or get seriously ill though...fail.

I think the SC is gonna sink that HCR bill too. More fail.

I wish there was more than one outlet for these chairs though for folks overseas. This sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by lee5595 View Post
    Hi, I'm in the UK 'Up North' and have found a totally different experience.....

The NHS Voucher scheme runs for 3 or 5years (depending what you require) and after that time you should be reassesed for another chair or voucher. I'm aware that the amount you get depends on your local NHS Trust but you should still get something towards a new one...even more so if your needs have changed!

As for the VAT you are exempt if you are disabled and buying equipment

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...yType=document

I agree with you that stuff here in the UK ALWAYS seems to be way more than it should and frustrates the hell out of me too!

Before ordering my Oracing I looked at ZRA's and think they are about £2000 base price here in UK and £1800 in US, not a great deal of difference but still annoying!

You could get in touch with the Spinal Injuries Association here in UK, they have a wealth of knowledge and a FREE advice line http://www.spinal.co.uk/page/advice-line

I hope you get sorted mate
    Hey, thanks for your advice...I really appreciate it.

I think the I'm running into the problems because I have CP and not a spinal injury. As I am, at least in basic terms, mobile, the standards are different. It's true...I can walk but they have NO IDEA of the pain it puts me through to lead even a semi productive life without a chair these days.

Of course, I totally understand that I am in a very fortunate position compared to many but pain is still pain and spasms are still spasms and I honestly wouldn't be complaining unless I was dealing with A LOT of pain daily. Unfortunately, officials struggle to understand; I'm an awkward case I guess as more often than not, they're dealing with spinal injury.

Oh well....Just got to make the best of it I guess

Quote Originally Posted by totoL1 View Post
    1800 pounds a ZRa in US? i think you didn`t look in the correct place.
    $ 2050 basic price is less than 1300 pounds.

How much cost you your Oracing in UK?
    The ZRA RRP is about $2800 if i recall, maybe they've come down since i looked.

The Oracing was about £3800 Toto, which i think is good value, to be honest its about the whole package for me not just the chair quality but the Customer Service which, in my experience, is sadly lacking from the majority of UK equipment suppliers.

Quote Originally Posted by ipenguin View Post
    What I find frankly indefensible is that for many people (including myself) 20% VAT is added to the price. VAT is a sales tax. Under most circumstances VAT isn't added to essentials but for some insane reason it is added to wheelchairs (unless someone is personally exempt.) - How a wheelchair isn't considered essential, I shall never know!

I totally agree with SCIfor55yrs!
    I fail to see how you are not VAT exempt.

All you have to do when you buy the chair is sign a form stating that you can hardly walk and the dealer will drop the 20% VAT. It really is that simple, it's up to the dealers discretion, if he can see you need a chair it's deal done, no medical or Doctors letter etc. just you signing the declaration.

The ZRA RRP is about $2800 if i recall, maybe they've come down since i looked.

The Oracing was about £3800 Toto, which i think is good value, to be honest its about the whole package for me not just the chair quality but the Customer Service which, in my experience, is sadly lacking from the majority of UK equipment suppliers.
    Is not a bad price thinking you`ve got dinos wheels, carbon fiber seat pan, froglegs casters and unitine forks, angled backrest crossbar, carbon fiber sideguards.

Sure you will not regret, of course if the spokz guy have done his job ok, about measurements.

Quote Originally Posted by ipenguin View Post
    Hey, thanks for your advice...I really appreciate it.

I think the I'm running into the problems because I have CP and not a spinal injury. As I am, at least in basic terms, mobile, the standards are different. It's true...I can walk but they have NO IDEA of the pain it puts me through to lead even a semi productive life without a chair these days.

Of course, I totally understand that I am in a very fortunate position compared to many but pain is still pain and spasms are still spasms and I honestly wouldn't be complaining unless I was dealing with A LOT of pain daily. Unfortunately, officials struggle to understand; I'm an awkward case I guess as more often than not, they're dealing with spinal injury.

Oh well....Just got to make the best of it I guess
    'We are all in this together' our Govmnt keeps saying and personally I don't class CP any 'better or worse' than SCI Penguin.....but it looks like from youre experience the powers that be, sadly, do!

Have you tried contacting your local MP or any Local/National CP groups, they may be able to help you apply a bit of pressure to get the equipment you need. I've learn't over the years that you have to fight for most things in the UK and 'making do' can have a detremental effect both mentally and phisyically

Quote Originally Posted by totoL1 View Post
    Is not a bad price thinking you`ve got dinos wheels, carbon fiber seat pan, froglegs casters and unitine forks, angled backrest crossbar, carbon fiber sideguards.

Sure you will not regret, of course if the spokz guy have done his job ok, about measurements.
    I have faith in him....although i did check my measurements myself a few times! The Spokz guy is a Quad, ex Team GB Rugby i think so i have more confidence in him than previous 'Able Bodied' guys ive had selling me chairs!

'We are all in this together' our Govmnt keeps saying and personally I don't class CP any 'better or worse' than SCI Penguin.....but it looks like from youre experience the powers that be, sadly, do!

Have you tried contacting your local MP or any Local/National CP groups, they may be able to help you apply a bit of pressure to get the equipment you need. I've learn't over the years that you have to fight for most things in the UK and 'making do' can have a detremental effect both mentally and phisyically
    Well, I've managed to get a meeting with an OT and an engineer for the 10th of April. On the phone she wasn't very confident but I'm hoping that when they see how bad things have got they may be more open to discuss options. Like I said, I really wouldn't moan unless it was BAD! I've spent my life working round problems, and if I could I would, but it's at a stage where my choices are getting limited.

As for our government, it's going to get worse. We have to fight to protect the most vulnerable because they don't care

Quote Originally Posted by Timaru View Post
    I fail to see how you are not VAT exempt.

All you have to do when you buy the chair is sign a form stating that you can hardly walk and the dealer will drop the 20% VAT. It really is that simple, it's up to the dealers discretion, if he can see you need a chair it's deal done, no medical or Doctors letter etc. just you signing the declaration.
    Hmmm.That's interesting. I didn't know that. The info I saw wasn't very helpful. Thank you...I'll look into it more

Yep, we get ripped off big time!

I'm waiting for my first lightweight chair to arrive, a Kuschall K4. I've spec'd it with the breathable back, 25" spinergies, and a royal blue frame and matt chrome casters and forks, and adjustable rear axle... £3000 which is nearly $4800!! Can't wait for it to arrive though, get out of the tank of a wheelchair i'm in now (invacare action 3 )
    T11 Asia A after near-fatal bike crash.. Just happy to still be here

No, I didn't loose my mind... It got scared and ran away!!