Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tile Flooring

That is over $28 per sq.ft WOW!
    The must quoted you with some nice granite or marble tile that cost $7-12/piece ( 12'x12' ) Did they include new cabinets or something? Otherwise sounds way overpriced.
    Where I live(NW FL) stone installation starts at $5-7/sq.ft. Porcelain and ceramic tile is even cheaper to install. Of course removal of existing flooring, newbacker board etc can addup to another $5/foot, but besides thinset and grout that will run you $1/foot all you need is pick your tile , which again at HD stone ( travertine) costs under $3/foot ( 18x18 tile ) or attractive porcelain tile at $3-5/foot.
    I mean you are talking about $12-$15/sq.ft for top of the line installation including old floor removal and nice quality new tile.

Quote Originally Posted by tasty View Post
    I know the subject of flooring comes up from time to time and we've been through carpet, Pergo, laminate, and hardwoods. There are pluses and minuses for each, but I think tile will work best for us. The problem with tile is the price. "Fortunately", our dishwasher imploded and Whirlpool gave us a $5K head start. Still, the first price we got for 700 sq. ft. was $20K. That's at least $5K too much for us. Anyone have experience with tile flooring at a decent price with reputable installers? BTW, there are some really nice wood patterns that look like the real thing as we have wood throughout the house.

For what its worth, we bought this house before walking became difficult for me. i still get around with a walker, but barefoot. The grout lines in our porcelin tile continually cut my feet as I slip/slide around. (Of course, the previous owner was a do-it-yourselfer, and grouting / leveling was not his speciality.