Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tile Flooring

Tile Flooring

I know the subject of flooring comes up from time to time and we've been through carpet, Pergo, laminate, and hardwoods. There are pluses and minuses for each, but I think tile will work best for us. The problem with tile is the price. "Fortunately", our dishwasher imploded and Whirlpool gave us a $5K head start. Still, the first price we got for 700 sq. ft. was $20K. That's at least $5K too much for us. Anyone have experience with tile flooring at a decent price with reputable installers? BTW, there are some really nice wood patterns that look like the real thing as we have wood throughout the house.

we have just finished replacing our whole upstairs flooring (previously pine floor) with porcelain tile, my husband did the work but even still it cost around 12,000 between tile, mortar, etc.
    However, we love it - much more durable, super easy to clean and nice and bright. I suppose it can be cold/hard, but nothing slippers cant fix - I plan on keeping a box of knitted bootie type slippers in various sizes near the door for guests.
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

I don't know where you are at or what your level of injury is but my wife and I bought and installed our own, over 1500 sq. ft. This was back in 98 and we saved 8K. 20K sounds like a lot for the footage, of course all prices keep going up. Anyway, we don't regret it and it still looks like the day it was put in. Good luck.
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

When my son bought his house, we ripped out all the carpet and vinyl flooring right down to the concrete slab ( we are in California and most houses are built on slabs). Then we stained the concrete and sealed it with low gloss verathayne. It's beautiful. Lots of compliments and super easy to maintain! Oh, and very inexpensive!

I acid washed my concrete in my last house (I was still able-bodied) it was durable, low-maintenance and beautiful. Now I have slate floors. Much less expensive than most tile. AND, because it's stone all the way through, chips and cracks are not an issue, just part of the rugged beauty.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Not all tile is created equal. Porcelain tile, like stone is the same all the way through and it can be laid up without large grout seams. Ceramic tiles are not as durable because you can chip and scratch through the glazes.

We have porcelain tile in two of our bathrooms. In both cases, we put in tiles with slip resistant finishes. They are smooth, but not glossy.

$20K sounds like a hefty price for 700 square feet. Get a couple more bids.

All the best,
    GJ

we ordered tile on line, and even with the freight charges (and some ship free), it was cheaper than buying locally. We hired a tile guy to do the installation.

Quote Originally Posted by tasty View Post
    ... Still, the first price we got for 700 sq. ft. was $20K...
    That's over $28 / sq. ft. You can buy complete houses in many parts of the country for that.

Solid porcelain is a waste indoors or for the 99%. Crack durability is more a factor of the underlayment than the tile. If you are going glazed then chip resistance is no different. I put a quality $3 ceramic in my kitchen. I've snapped 2 Henkels steak knives dropping them on the floor without leaving even a pin-prick in the glaze. Had the same tile in the last house and a large stainless/aluminum clad stock pot put only a tiny nick and a very large dent in the pot. Absolutely no way you should pay more than $10 / sq. ft. installed.

Quote Originally Posted by tasty View Post
    I know the subject of flooring comes up from time to time and we've been through carpet, Pergo, laminate, and hardwoods. There are pluses and minuses for each, but I think tile will work best for us. The problem with tile is the price. "Fortunately", our dishwasher imploded and Whirlpool gave us a $5K head start. Still, the first price we got for 700 sq. ft. was $20K. That's at least $5K too much for us. Anyone have experience with tile flooring at a decent price with reputable installers? BTW, there are some really nice wood patterns that look like the real thing as we have wood throughout the house.
    I paid about $9.50 per sq. foot, installed, for some really nice tile floors about this time last year. I got a referral from a contractor friend to a tile liquidator store. $7500 or something like that for 800 sq ft.

Sorry for your troubles.
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

We just did one last room that was about 140 square feet with a high grade porcelin that feels and looks like real stone and was done by a true expert (he wins awards at NARI shows). It came to about $1400 and that included the tile. I'd say the wood looking ceramics would be about the same cost as the stone like ones we bought. If we can ever swing a small place somewhere warm for winters I'd go for the wood looks. They really are cool. Get several bids and check the person or firm's references. Or subscribe to Angie's list.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.