Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 38 of 38

Thread: Things that are making me happy this week

  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by NoDecafPlz View Post
    And if he aces his finals?
    I hope he does. That would solve both his problem, and mine. Not to mention truly make me happy .
    Last edited by Saranoya; 06-03-2012 at 04:32 PM.

  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Cripply View Post
    This will be a turning point for you. I know you will not waste it.
    Odd comment here: if you have a tendency to depression, treat it. That, and not walking, would be your only hurdle to success and a happy life.
    Thank you . You're not wrong -- about any of what you say.

    I'm working on walking more, the crutches I have now are really useful for that. But I wonder, truly, if in a professional context, it is perhaps better to show up in a wheelchair than wobbling on a pair of crutches.

    As for the depression ... I don't know that I would say I still have a tendency to get truly depressed. I have my ups and downs, but I suppose everybody does. And past experience has taught me that anti-depressants (at least the ones I've tried) don't really work on me, and talk therapy is frustrating for both parties, unless I do it with someone who's smarter than I am.

  3. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Saranoya View Post
    Thank you . You're not wrong -- about any of what you say.

    I'm working on walking more, the crutches I have now are really useful for that. But I wonder, truly, if in a professional context, it is perhaps better to show up in a wheelchair than wobbling on a pair of crutches.

    As for the depression ... I don't know that I would say I still have a tendency to get truly depressed. I have my ups and downs, but I suppose everybody does. And past experience has taught me that anti-depressants (at least the ones I've tried) don't really work on me, and talk therapy is frustrating for both parties, unless I do it with someone who's smarter than I am.
    There is a reason some antidepressants dont work for you. Find a smart doctor/therapist. Best of luck.
    Have you tried Lamictal? Good for both certain depressions and for seizures.
    Last edited by Cripply; 06-03-2012 at 04:35 PM. Reason: inc

  4. #34
    Saranova. where did you find your crutches? They look pretty sturdy. I have only seen a one pair-and they were really flimsy.
    "Nothing ventured, nothing gained." - My Grammie

  5. #35
    @ Aidan: http://www.arbincrutches.com

    For me, these really do make all the difference. I had recently managed to convince myself that it was all between my ears, and that I could really walk with any pair of crutches if I wanted to. But last week, I was in a situation where I didn't have these with me, and I tried walking with a standard 'Euro-style' (open cuff), run-off-the-mill pair of crutches.

    Let's just say I found out pretty quickly why my physical therapist didn't want me using those anymore.

    But, as I tell anyone who asks about these crutches: do be careful. They are insanely expensive, and they are heavy. One person who bought them wrote on this board about how she had to send them back because they were *too* heavy for her. Only recommended if you have a strong upper body, I would think.

  6. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    3,864
    Quote Originally Posted by Saranoya View Post
    OK.

    The following really, truly, spectacularly does not belong in this thread, but I guess I'll tack on something that makes me happy at the end, because I am well and truly PISSED right now, and I don't feel good about the idea of hijacking anyone else's thread, or starting a new one, to let the world know about it -- especially because it isn't even tangentially related to anything that might be considered remotely relevant to the general subject matter of this website.

    But I need to yell at somebody about this, and I guess yelling about it on the internet will do the least possible damage. So, you know what's pissing me off right now?

    My mother, saying, in an e-mail, that "your brother has been doing drugs all week, and he's not studying for his finals."

    I didn't bother to ask what she meant by 'doing drugs', and maybe I should have, but at the time I felt I didn't need to. Because it's almost always the same story. My brother smoked a joint and, oh my, she found out about it, and, well, that's Bad with a capital B, right?

    Well, yeah. If he truly has been blowing off school for that, then it might be.

    But lady, look around you. Your husband is a violent jerk who gets ten times worse when he's drunk, and yet, alcohol is just something people use 'to wind down after a hard day's work', right?

    Right. Maybe you should ask yourself how come none of your children touch the stuff. Hint: it's probably not because our lives are any less stressful than those of the generation that came before us.

    Of course, I know that the only reason this makes me so angry is because it feels like a personal failure. If what my mother says is true, then my brother is going down a destructive path right now -- the same path I found myself travelling as a teenager, albeit by different means. Somehow, as the older sister, I feel like I should have done something to prevent that.

    What? I don't know. But I didn't even try. I ran away. Twice.

    And now, my punishment seems to be that I get to see my brother follow in footsteps I wish I'd never left for him to follow. Ugh.

    I'm happy to have this place to vent about that, though. Truly, I am.
    you know i felt that the same way. hell, i still feel the same way.

    my mom, after my dad went to jail after i reported him to the police for molesting and raping me she started dated this guy(they are now married). my dad hadnt been to trial yet when they started dating and from day 1 this d00d was always yelling at me about something. to say he is controlling is an understatement. he wanted to dictate who i hung out with(if they werent "christian like him" then he didnt want me hanging out with them) he would ban my friends from the house, he would yell and scream because if my friends came over to get me and say "hi everybody" he was angry because they didnt personally say hi to him. the list goes on. to this day, he is still the same. he even has them turn off the phone ringer and yells if someone does. my older brother got told how lazy he was (my older bro was working 2-3 jobs at the time. he has been working since he was 14) when my mom's bf had no job, quit one because "god didnt want" him to work. my older brother finally left home. he came back a few years ago for xmas, only to have my mom's husband lay into him all this crap and a lecture about living with his gf and they are "living in sin" all from a guy who got my mom pregnant while they were dating.

    i literally couldnt take the crap anymore. when i was at my sickest, he'd tell me that i was ill because i wasnt a christian and tell me i was nothing and nobody. so i left. as soon as i got back surgery to fix my rods, i was in my back brace, right out of the hospital looking for an apartment. i left about 6months later(in which time his antics increased). in all those years, my mom was mostly useless. sometimes she'd defend me, but that'd lead to his tirades being worse, so she'd tell me that i was the one whose behavior was wrong and that "he is a man" and i needed to just let him do what he wanted. i laughed and called her a puppet and no way was i doing that. wrong is wrong, i didnt care who was doing it, and i'd stand up to him.

    but i left my 3 younger siblings behind, so then they are now getting the brunt of his behavior. and one said he had wished that he was warned about it. and i felt like i hadnt tried hard enough to steer them in the other direction and teach them to be mentally strong against his bigotry and hate messages and controlling nature. i often feel i have failed in that. i am trying to live and carve out my own life, while still trying to help raise them. and it sucks as i know i cannot do both.

    i dunno how to tell you how to help your brother. reach out to him. remind him that he DOES NOT want to continue your father's legacy. talk to him more, just be there as much as u can. but also know you need to have a safe enough distance for your own sanity.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

  7. #37
    @Saranova

    Thanks

    Yes, they are pricey-especially since they are in euro and I need two. I really just need them for planes and really super short distances. Thought that they would be easier to transport since I am in my chair for everything. I will wait-but they do look much more sturdy than the folding ones I have
    "Nothing ventured, nothing gained." - My Grammie

  8. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by aidan416 View Post
    Yes, they are pricey-especially since they are in euro and I need two.
    Aidan, Fetterman's is the official US distributor for Arbin Quickstep crutches. Here's a link: http://www.fetterman-crutches.com/cr...avel/index.php

Similar Threads

  1. Week 6 of the 14 week challenge
    By fynalefree in forum Exercise & Recovery
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-22-2011, 05:27 PM
  2. To the SCI-Nurses: Happy Nurses Week!
    By thehipcrip in forum Life
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-11-2010, 08:34 PM
  3. What's making YOU happy lately?
    By betheny in forum Life
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 06-26-2005, 07:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •