Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Things that are making me happy this week

Smile

Speaking of food, some Friends came over for dinner, and they brought desert.
    Homemade ice cream sandwiches. Yum, some of the best home made ice cream ever, plus great cookies for the bread part. Man were those good.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Glad to hear when anyone is on the upswing. Hoping the warm weather slows the CC blues.

Keep fighting the good fight Sara.
    And the truth shall set you free.

My just one year old grand daughter came to visit. I haven't seen her much before this. In two days of being here, she has figured out to run up to me, turn her back to me, so I can scoop her up onto my lap. The she says "see, see" which means we go outside. There she points to flowers, birds, squirrels, trees, etc-"see, see". She also steals all me food.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    My just one year old grand daughter came to visit. I haven't seen her much before this. In two days of being here, she has figured out to run up to me, turn her back to me, so I can scoop her up onto my lap. The she says "see, see" which means we go outside. There she points to flowers, birds, squirrels, trees, etc-"see, see". She also steals all me food.
    That's adorable.

/me tries to smash the internal biological clock, which is ticking very loudly right about now.

Oh, well. I'd make a terrible mother anyway .

The joy of no longer having to depend on the bus schedule, and/or be at the mercy of whatever weird mood swings the person driving the bus may or may not be having right this minute.

Behold, my new medium-distance vehicle of choice:

It's just a try-out for right now, but by August, I should have my own. This is truly worthy of a celebration so, whoever out there's looking for an excuse to treat themselves to something they don't usually allow themselves to have: go get it, and tell anyone who asks I told you to do it .

Cheers!

I have seen that, it is nice and I think it is a thing I can get if I am lucky.
    TH 12, 43 years post

OK.

The following really, truly, spectacularly does not belong in this thread, but I guess I'll tack on something that makes me happy at the end, because I am well and truly PISSED right now, and I don't feel good about the idea of hijacking anyone else's thread, or starting a new one, to let the world know about it -- especially because it isn't even tangentially related to anything that might be considered remotely relevant to the general subject matter of this website.

But I need to yell at somebody about this, and I guess yelling about it on the internet will do the least possible damage. So, you know what's pissing me off right now?

My mother, saying, in an e-mail, that "your brother has been doing drugs all week, and he's not studying for his finals."

I didn't bother to ask what she meant by 'doing drugs', and maybe I should have, but at the time I felt I didn't need to. Because it's almost always the same story. My brother smoked a joint and, oh my, she found out about it, and, well, that's Bad with a capital B, right?

Well, yeah. If he truly has been blowing off school for that, then it might be.

But lady, look around you. Your husband is a violent jerk who gets ten times worse when he's drunk, and yet, alcohol is just something people use 'to wind down after a hard day's work', right?

Right. Maybe you should ask yourself how come none of your children touch the stuff. Hint: it's probably not because our lives are any less stressful than those of the generation that came before us.

Of course, I know that the only reason this makes me so angry is because it feels like a personal failure. If what my mother says is true, then my brother is going down a destructive path right now -- the same path I found myself travelling as a teenager, albeit by different means. Somehow, as the older sister, I feel like I should have done something to prevent that.

What? I don't know. But I didn't even try. I ran away. Twice.

And now, my punishment seems to be that I get to see my brother follow in footsteps I wish I'd never left for him to follow. Ugh.

I'm happy to have this place to vent about that, though. Truly, I am.
    Last edited by Saranoya; 06-03-2012 at 03:58 PM.

And if he aces his finals?
    And the truth shall set you free.

Quote Originally Posted by Saranoya View Post
    My boss, who writes in my first-ever yearly performance evaluation (translated from French):

"What do I tell you, if it is not that you are the revelation of this team? Quality and productivity are business as usual for you. You have many talents, and my goal will be to help you continue to grow."

Yes, I have a wonderful, *wonderful* boss. And yes, I'm tooting my own horn by posting this here.

Nevertheless, it's something that's making me very, very happy this week. And so, here it is.
    This will be a turning point for you. I know you will not waste it.
    Odd comment here: if you have a tendency to depression, treat it. That, and not walking, would be your only hurdle to success and a happy life.