Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are you an athlete? Help me out! (Please.)

it really doesn't help that the team name is PossAbilities.....
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Quote Originally Posted by crypticgimp View Post
    it really doesn't help that the team name is PossAbilities.....
    I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the PossAbilities, I just thought it was a good example of what she was looking for. I think PossAbilities is a great organization that helps out a lot of people.

However, I wish more journalists would concentrate on the sports specific stories rather than always going straight to Human Interest stories for dis-abled sports. Compare the link I posted earlier to the race report that was posted on USHF website http://www.ushf.org/general-hcnews-c...at-redlands-tt

It would be nice to see articles like the one above in newspapers.

Quote Originally Posted by jheath View Post
    I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the PossAbilities, I just thought it was a good example of what she was looking for. I think PossAbilities is a great organization that helps out a lot of people.

However, I wish more journalists would concentrate on the sports specific stories rather than always going straight to Human Interest stories for dis-abled sports. Compare the link I posted earlier to the race report that was posted on USHF website http://www.ushf.org/general-hcnews-c...at-redlands-tt

It would be nice to see articles like the one above in newspapers.
    i am sure they are a great organization and the athletes are awesome but i am not a fan of the name.

i think it perpetuates the stereotype that kiran is touching on. we as ppl with disabilities need some feel good moniker in order to feel good about ourselves or that moniker serves as a reminder that we can do something rather than it being a given that we can.

if we as a community cannot get that correct, then how do we expect the media to?

i feel the tone of the article is in line with what kiran is talking about. it says confined in a wheelchair PROBABLY isn't the most accurate term. probably? how about never. it talks of how they are "dealing" with the disability and not much about what their accomplishments as athletes are.

there is a way to balance this. that's why i love the olympics, in particular, women's gymnastics. take a look at al trautwig's commentary over the the past... 15yrs? or more... he does the human interest bit to get you emotionally connected and then WHAM footage of the athletes kicking butt and taking names. it's really great emotional manipulation and it works. (can u tell i am ready for summer? i am totally plugging my tv in!)
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

media for disabled sports

During the Athens Parlympics there was No mainstream media about the 2nd largest athletic competition in the world. The only coverage I heard was about a horrific bus accident where several children, who were headed to the closing ceremonies, were killed. Absolutely nothing about the actual competition.