Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wonderful Hair Washing solution

Blog Entries

Wonderful Hair Washing solution

I’ve been meaning to compile a “nifty things that make life easier” thread, but this is too good to wait. I haven't tried it, but it looks like it might actually solve my hair washing problem. I can't get back in my home shower until I get a new transfer bench that swivels on slides, because last time I opened my sore. And all the kitchen sink solutions make me go into extension and hurt. But this pricey little gizmo lets you sit totally upright and apparently stay dry. Does anyone have one?
    http://www.activeforever.com/p-2007-zero-flex-hair-wash-system.aspx

Just what I was looking for without success through Google. I knew I could count on CareCure.

My hair-washing system is I only wash my hair once a week. No joke, and my hair does not smell or look dirty. In fact by the time I wash it, it doesn't look bad enough. So much of the the time I still don't use shampoo and do a conditioner wash. When I use shampoo, I only wash at the scalp.

When you strip too much oil out of your hair the scalp rebels and produces more as protection. You get into a cycle of washing more, and oilier hair. If anyone is interested look up things like "the curly girl method" and "no poo method." My hair is SO much healthier now too. I have wavy/curly hair and before it was just out of control and frizzy. Now I have waves and curls that stick together, and I'm actually starting to like my hair!

I first heard about the method on an illness related forum because of people having difficulty showering. It did take my hair a while to adjust, I gradually stretched out the amount of days I could go, and used corn starch if I needed to get some excess oil out before washday.

Showering is SO much easier without washing my hair every time. So much quicker which is great because the hot water exhausts me. I only use soap all over about once a week too, but thats due to eczema. So a quick rinse all over with soaping the important parts and I'm out!
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    My hair-washing system is I only wash my hair once a week. No joke, and my hair does not smell or look dirty. In fact by the time I wash it, it doesn't look bad enough. So much of the the time I still don't use shampoo and do a conditioner wash. When I use shampoo, I only wash at the scalp.

When you strip too much oil out of your hair the scalp rebels and produces more as protection. You get into a cycle of washing more, and oilier hair. If anyone is interested look up things like "the curly girl method" and "no poo method." My hair is SO much healthier now too. I have wavy/curly hair and before it was just out of control and frizzy. Now I have waves and curls that stick together, and I'm actually starting to like my hair!

I first heard about the method on an illness related forum because of people having difficulty showering. It did take my hair a while to adjust, I gradually stretched out the amount of days I could go, and used corn starch if I needed to get some excess oil out before washday.

Showering is SO much easier without washing my hair every time. So much quicker which is great because the hot water exhausts me. I only use soap all over about once a week too, but thats due to eczema. So a quick rinse all over with soaping the important parts and I'm out!
    Back in the day (before blow dryers), ladies went to the salon once a week, got a shampoo, set, and comb out. Then for the rest of the week set a roller or pin curl here or there, wrapped their heads in toilet paper, or slept on silk pillow cases to try to preserve the the "do." I remember my mother and older sister going through these rituals.

All the best,
    GJ

exactly! Thats where "I can't, I'm washing my hair that night" came from. Either at the salon or home, you only washed your hair once a week.

Part of the reason behind that though was early shampoos were much too harsh to be used more frequently. The shampoos now are "gentle" and "safe" enough for up to daily use. But thats still not whats best for your hair. Conditioners have cleansers strong enough to "wash" your hair (you do need to pick the right ones for wash use, or leave in use.) I buy super gentle shampoos and like I said only use them at the scalp. I put conditioner through the length of my hair first to protect it from the shampoo run off. And I buy natural cold pressed handmade "superfatted" soap for my skin. I was using the recommended body wash and expensive moisturizing cream from my dermatologist and still needing steroid ointment daily to every other day. Now with the soap I buy and straight vegetable oils and butters on my skin I use it maybe once a week, and only on the spots that are starting to get itchy. Everyone is different, but I've found my skin and hair even reacts to so called hypoallergenic stuff.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    I’ve been meaning to compile a “nifty things that make life easier” thread,
    That's a great idea, possibly even a sticky thread with enough input. I can see something like that turning into a growing Howto thread on various things for wheelchair users.

Every two days for me. Except from Friday to Tuesday because I have a couple of new hires who almost destroyed my chair last shampoo.

Here is another option although it looks like New South Wales Australia. I've contacted them to see if they have a North American distributor:

http://www.joiken.com.au/catalogue/h...e-basin-deep-/

Quote Originally Posted by Van Quad View Post
    Every two days for me. Except from Friday to Tuesday because I have a couple of new hires who almost destroyed my chair last shampoo.

Here is another option although it looks like New South Wales Australia. I've contacted them to see if they have a North American distributor:

http://www.joiken.com.au/catalogue/h...e-basin-deep-/
    I like this one. Didn't someone here say they installed a shampoo sink like the one that would be in a salon. I wash my hair 2x sometimes 3 and do it while sitting in my wc.

I just face the bath tub and lean forward and down if I want to wash my hair quick. I have a long torso though so head sticks out past knees. Also my wheelchair has a tight front angle. Probably 90 degrees.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Here is a better price on a portable shampoo bowl. I used one when in a pc with tilt but now with a mc I have to find another option.

http://www.salonguys.com/catalogsear...rtable+shampoo
    Life's perceived journey in this PMR is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy **** what a VR ride!"
    Pete C6/'97