Thread: New sci

New sci

Any thoughts on what is most beneficial to helping someone after an sci. Specifically in regards to going home after rehab. I know this is a broad topic but any initial thoughts/ ideas would be helpful.

Get them active right off the bat; school, physical therapy, social, recreational...

Two of our biggest enemies are pressure sores and urinary tract infections (UTIs). Learn how to prevent them (esp. frequent pressure releases, protecting susceptible sites while sleeping, daily skin checks), and how to diagnose them.

A knowledgeable outpatient physiatrist with interest in SCI can be valuable, and hard to find. Set up an appointment with one before you leave rehab.

Treat depression aggressively, and early..... both in the person with the injury, and family members/caregivers.

Pain is never "normal" and learn to be aggressive about asking for help, trying new things, both with medications and other strategies (ex. stretching and treating spasticity, ice/heat/topicals, TENS, exercise etc..).

Expect that you will need to educate yourselves the most, and will ultimately learn more about what you need then your doctors.

Come to this board frequently to search for answers, and ask new questions.

My best friend flew in from Boston for my first week out of rehab. Even though my house had been modified with ramps and I had a new bathroom he spent most of the week building ramps for places we had missed, built a platform for my bed so it was the exact height of my chair, plus tons of other things. If you know someone handy building stuff, having them around when they get out of rehab would be a big help.

In line with what Jim said above, be sure they have a schedule that mandates getting out of bed every single day, and ideally, getting out of the house every single day. This includes going to therapy, but also things like grocery shopping, taking in a concert (get tickets now), going to a friend's birthday party or meeting friends or family at a restaurant. Have a deadline for getting back to school or work, and stick to it too.

Too many people go home, spend whole days in bed, get weak and depressed, and then move down the slippery slope of pressure ulcers, and other preventable complications. Everyone needs a reason to get out of bed (and out of the house) every day.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    In line with what Jim said above, be sure they have a schedule that mandates getting out of bed every single day, and ideally, getting out of the house every single day. This includes going to therapy, but also things like grocery shopping, taking in a concert (get tickets now), going to a friend's birthday party or meeting friends or family at a restaurant. Have a deadline for getting back to school or work, and stick to it too.

Too many people go home, spend whole days in bed, get weak and depressed, and then move down the slippery slope of pressure ulcers, and other preventable complications. Everyone needs a reason to get out of bed (and out of the house) every day.

(KLD)
    Fantastic advice. I read it to my husband and he said, "Right on!" LOL

After my injury I was lying in bed on my parent's farm, while my husband and brother were in the field picking up hay bales. On a break they were wishing for a pickup driver when they glanced my way. Before I knew what had happened I was tied to the driver's seat, given a stick for the accelerator and told to steer the pickup. It was the best thing that could have happened to me. I got out of the house and felt useful.

C5/C6 1964

Thanks for your replies so far!