Thread: L1 Incomplete SCI and 38 weeks pregnant... getting nervous about delivery!

L1 Incomplete SCI and 38 weeks pregnant... getting nervous about delivery!

I'm getting very close to delivery of my first child and I'm getting a little nervous about delivery and caring for a newborn! My husband and I don't have a lot of outside support so it will be just the two of us. With the nature of my injury I'm able to ambulate using one forearm crutch so I don't require a lot of help. I don't anticipate needing a lot of help. It's just the fear of the unknown! Any advise?

I don't have any advice but wish you all the best! I'm sure you'll do great.

Dear Purelife! Congratulations!!! I'm very excited for you! I've been a T-12 para since 1980 (nearly 33 years). I gave natural birth to my daughter two years after my injury. It was the single most wonderful experience in my life! I was only 23 at the time, so that was in my favor. The delivery went very fast with no complications. Getting creative about how to handle everything with a newborn was an amazing experience too. I'm sure you will do fine, but don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions in particular. I wish you all the best!

You will be amazed how naturally it all comes. I am a C5/C6 quad and had three children. My mother stayed a week with me when my first was born, then I was on my own. I am thrilled for you!!
    Last edited by 47+years; 05-06-2012 at 09:31 PM.