Thread: Wheelchair tires - non-air filled

Wheelchair tires - non-air filled

Hi,

I've aways used air-filled tires on a Quickie2 wheelchair. I'd like to switch to non-air filled tires so I don't have to worry about flats or maintaining air pressure, but I know nothing about that kind of tire.

Do any of you use non-air filled tires? Are they hollow? Solid? Are there different kinds of material used? Are some easier to push than others? Any information would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by pablo32 View Post
    Hi,

I've aways used air-filled tires on a Quickie2 wheelchair. I'd like to switch to non-air filled tires so I don't have to worry about flats or maintaining air pressure, but I know nothing about that kind of tire.

Do any of you use non-air filled tires? Are they hollow? Solid? Are there different kinds of material used? Are some easier to push than others? Any information would be appreciated.
    I am currently running Schwalbe RightRuns that have tubes with air in them.

I have used SHOX solid rubber tires for years in the past though. Some here love them and some hate them. One thing is for sure though, they last almost forever and are totally maintenance and worry free.

http://www.sportaid.com/shox-solid-w...-5-colors.html

I ran for about six months on the shox solids before I went back to the marathon plus tires. I didn't like the solid tires and will never go back. The reason I went with them originally was rolling around SF I was worried I would have a flat but the marathon plus are pretty sturdy and it would take a lot to puncture them.

What is it you don't like about the solid tires? I thought about trying them although I'm having pretty good luck with these Right Runs I've got on so far. I use to have Kendas and they wear out pretty quickly and were a bear to get on, very tight.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Hello, welcome to CareCure!

There are several threads discussing this you may be interested in... Search is your friend :-)

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=176413
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=170526
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=106526

I use Shox, change them about once a year, no other maintenance. They are a little slower than HP air, but it makes for a better workout

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    What is it you don't like about the solid tires? I thought about trying them although I'm having pretty good luck with these Right Runs I've got on so far. I use to have Kendas and they wear out pretty quickly and were a bear to get on, very tight.
    I didn't like the ride and the friction. It is hard to describe, air filled tires just feel smoother and easier to roll in.

I used Spartex(?) solids (TiLite's default solid tire) for a few months before switching to Schwalbe MPEs. The solids tore up my gloves/hand because of rough sidewalls, and they slipped more on surfaces (especially in malls) than MPEs.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

After years of using air filled tires I switched my manual chairs to solid tires and love them. One chair has what is known as "full profile polyurethane" tires, which look like air tires (size) but are solid. My other chair has a flat free insert, so the tires are the same as what would usually have a tube in them but these have a solid insert that can't be deflated. For me it is worth it to not have to think about flats, and if I had known how good they are I would have done it years ago to save myself the aggravation of flats at the worst possible time.

Have used both on my Quickie 2.

The solids aren't recommended for the Xtender package because they claim it damages the electronics in the wheels.

The air tires are fine, but the solid core are great for no-worry tooling on streets or gravel. I use the solids around the plant because of the expansion in progress. air tires lasted one week, and 2 flats later, went back to the solid core tires.

i had a flat tire while i was in knott's berry farm a long time ago,sense then i been using solid tires love them no worries, i do recommend purchasing the tool to put them on ,if you install them whit screw drivers you will rip the cord the holds them together i just got spinergy's from the expo they came whit schwalbe tires so I'm just keeping those till they run out ,but going back to solid after