Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 95

Thread: Service Dog Quesion

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    USA - Kansas
    Posts
    264

    Question Service Dog Quesion

    I have my service dog. She has been with me for 1.5 years. She is all self trained and very good with people and the things she does! I have even taken her to Craig Hospital a couple of times now. There is a ciity around me that has and city ordnance that my type of dog is not allowed, . I have not been kicked out of this town or anything like that but I will be traveling soon and that town happens to be a pit stop where some of my family lives!

    Can they legally do anything to me or the dog?

  2. #2
    Senior Member ryano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    North Georgia
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by zwthomp View Post
    I have my service dog. She has been with me for 1.5 years. She is all self trained and very good with people and the things she does! I have even taken her to Craig Hospital a couple of times now. There is a ciity around me that has and city ordnance that my type of dog is not allowed, . I have not been kicked out of this town or anything like that but I will be traveling soon and that town happens to be a pit stop where some of my family lives!

    Can they legally do anything to me or the dog?
    I am pretty sure that ADA laws when it comes to service dogs override any of their silly ordinances. In fact, that city could be setting themselves up for a huge lawsuit if they deny you and your service dog!

  3. #3
    Senior Member Domosoyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    1,016
    Any public space a service dog can be in. The exception is if the dog is acting aggressive or causing other problems. Sometimes if my daughter's dog barks once or twice we just leave. A whole town is a little odd.

    You mentioned a dog type. I assume Pit Bull or Rottweiler....is that what the town banned?

  4. #4
    The way it works is that the ADA overrides the city ordinances BUT, and it is a huge BUT, not everyone will know this and your dog may be taken away from you and put in a shelter or even put down before you will have been able to prove that the ADA takes precedence.

    It is a risk taking a Service Dog into these locations with breed bans. Sad but true.
    Oli

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    USA - Kansas
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by Domosoyo View Post
    Any public space a service dog can be in. The exception is if the dog is acting aggressive or causing other problems. Sometimes if my daughter's dog barks once or twice we just leave. A whole town is a little odd.

    You mentioned a dog type. I assume Pit Bull or Rottweiler....is that what the town banned?
    She is a Doberman Pinscher

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    USA - Kansas
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by Oli View Post
    The way it works is that the ADA overrides the city ordinances BUT, and it is a huge BUT, not everyone will know this and your dog may be taken away from you and put in a shelter or even put down before you will have been able to prove that the ADA takes precedence.

    It is a risk taking a Service Dog into these locations with breed bans. Sad but true.
    Oli
    YIKES!! I would be sooo raged. I might end up in jail if this would happen for life....

  7. #7
    I'm pretty sure you're protected by the ADA. I unfortunately remember a story about a man who moved from Chicago to some little town in Iowa who had his service dog taken away because pit bulls were banned in that town. He took it to court and was allowed to have the dog back until the courts decided whether or not he could keep fido. I don't remember what the court decided, but it was a sad story regardless.

    I hate that some breeds get such a bad rap when it's their owner's fault for raising them to be aggressive. I have a pit and she's the biggest baby...end rant.
    Maggie
    C5/6 incomplete since '99

    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

  8. #8
    Senior Member ~Lin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,070
    Quote Originally Posted by Domosoyo View Post
    Any public space a service dog can be in. The exception is if the dog is acting aggressive or causing other problems. Sometimes if my daughter's dog barks once or twice we just leave. A whole town is a little odd.
    Actually that's not true. There are certain areas service dogs are not allowed when the presence constitutes either a fundamental alteration or a threat to safety. For example, there are specific parts of zoos where service dogs can be prohibited because their presence upsets the zoo animals.

    Also, its always good to note that government buildings are not covered under the ADA, but covered under section 504 of the Rehab act.

    Sometimes what is public vs private comes up, for example a church is private and up to the discretion of the church for service dog access, in a court room its up to the judge, and so forth.

    Correct that any service dog causing a disruption may be asked to leave.

    Its not so simple as ADA/vs ordinances when it comes to breed bans... But before I say anything I want to double check some things.

    Lin
    Board member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Assist...06209239409178
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

    I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

  9. #9
    Wow this is a really interesting question. ZW, I'm really sorry this is an issue for you. I'm sure your dog is a sweetheart who is only interested in serving you! hence why he's your SD! geesh oh man makes me so sad. Breed Only Bans make my blood boil.

    My best friend can train service dogs, trained her own a half pittie (who would as soon lick a robbers face than bite him) and is training a full pitt bull for a veteran now. sweetest boy in the world. cracks me up that people think their mean. a gold retriever could be trained to be viscous, its how they are treated! Will be discussing this one with her, she's a big advocate and authority on it and has done speaking etc on it. Even got to meet Shorty!

    @mb19, seriously, rant away! I could go on and on!

  10. #10
    You may want to get some info here too.

    http://www.iaadp.org/

    I went to the SS office and the guard requested I move away from everyone due to the children sitting near me with my SD. I was livid.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

    I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Similar Threads

  1. service dogs and car service
    By daveh0 in forum Recreation, Sports, Travel, & Hobbies
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-28-2011, 12:21 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-13-2011, 06:14 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-07-2002, 06:52 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-08-2001, 06:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •