Deciding not to have Dr. Kao's procedure was the best decision I made last year. He had examined me in March 2002 and told me he could restore my bowel, bladder and sexual functions.

Dr. Kao is a rogue physician who does not have hospital privileges in the United States.

I had been injured (T-9 complete) for two years, was desperate for a cure, and was going to take out a second mortgage to pay for the $30,000 surgery.

After the surgery, his patients are given an exercise regimen that some of his patients said was far to difficult and time-consuming to follow.

Ccommon sense took over and I asked myself: "How does he know that he can restore my bowel, bladder and sexual functions?" How can he promise me that? It seemed to be unbelievable and unethical.

He showed me a film of his so-called successes, and they were not impressive. In one scene a guy was using a walker. In another scene a young female incomplete quad could -- with much difficulty -- shuffle forward with the help of huge braces. I was in a spinal injury ward and saw some patients regain significant function, including a guy could walk when he left the hospital. It's doubtful that Kao's surgery made much of a difference with these people.

Some patients feel they have been led by God to have Kao's surgery. Beware of letting your faith overrule reason and common sense.

Dr. Kao also stiched a pressure sore of a patient with thread and it became severely infected. This is among many questionable things he has done to people. Still, he has a group of True Believers who swear by him.

A tremendous burden was released when I decided not to have his surgery. I am now focused on learning to adapt to my injury the best that I can, though I'm still haven't accepted it and am disheartened by it.

Decent people threw a fundraiser to one guy to have Kao's surgery. They were duped by false claims that his surgery works. That's not right.

What do you think of this? Where should we look for a cure? I'm looking at the Christopher Reeve Foundation and the Miami Project for accurate information about the lastest research done toward the goal of curing spinal cord injuries.