Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 24 or 25 tires

I understand better. I was trying to get you deeper in the chair using the same angle of dump; that's why I suggested lowering the front. But if you want more dump, then don't lower the front. If you can't get more dump by lowering the rsh, we used to put a wedge under the cushion in the front. That was before there was such a thing as an adjustable chair.

I trust your dme will be able to adjust it better. Hope it goes well.

I never felt much difference between 24 vs 25, but yes between 24, 25 vs 26 (obviously, the most between 24 and 26, and due to my size/proportions, pref is sitting lower while pushing reach is a lil greater with 26's)

however, regardless of wheel, cushions made the most significant difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    I understand better. I was trying to get you deeper in the chair using the same angle of dump; that's why I suggested lowering the front. But if you want more dump, then don't lower the front.
    What difference does getting "deeper" into the chair make? Thats what I started the thread on, I wanted to understand what difference the positioning rules made on using the chair. I understand that the basis of the "rule" about your fingertips touching the center of the hub has to do with how much of the pushrim you can reach, and when you reach more of the pushrim you can push a longer stroke and therefor less strokes overall. But what does "deep" do? For example I see a lot of photos where people are sitting nearly level with their tires, or only a couple inches below their tires. I'm already 6-7 inches below my tires so I would have thought thats quite deep? But the consensus after I posted my photos was that I needed to be deeper. From your replies, it sounds like "deep" is different from "more dump" because you were giving advice on how to get deeper without increased dump... So what is "deep" and whats the purpose of it?

When it comes to dump the reason I don't want to lose dump is primarily the fact that I have difficulty carrying anything on my lap. Everything wants to slide to the floor. And with my rsh, everyone said I need to lower it so I can reach more of my wheels. What sort of thing could a wedge be made out of? I've seen wedge cushions, but the issue when it comes to cushions is not being able to afford anything currently. The combi has more of a slope up with higher in the front than my curve does at least.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

25's are great on hard surface, 24's are great off road as they tend to be wider.
    Daily life.. 25.
    Rick Brauer or just call me - Mr B

http://www.riseadventures.org