Thread: NEXT Mobility Tailwind........Repairs???

Exclamation NEXT Mobility Tailwind........Repairs???

Well, like some of you, I spent serious money buying the NEXT Mobility Tailwind. I love the chair. It as really gave me more independence to do many things such as enjoy walks with my wife and kids, get up my van's ramp, and more.

Now I'm having some issues. Nothing major yet, but I am worried. MY right wheel doesn't always work like it should. It seems that the push rim is a it loose, and doesn't always "engage" the power-assist, especially on ramps. Not good! I can usually work enough to get it going, but I sure don't need it to get any worse.

Now that NEXT is no longer in business, does anyone know somebody who can offer assistance? I love the chair but hate that getting support on it is next (pun intended) to impossible right now!

Your best bet is to look around for another Tailwind that has died. If you can get one, you can use the parts. That is what I did with my old iGlide when it died. I gave it to a friend who is using the wheels, etc. Look around on eBay.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Does anybody still have or know some that has Tailwind/s that they are unable to sell? I'm curious about getting a part or two from somewhere to repair my chair.

What parts do you need? Is your pushrim hitting your spokes? This can be adjusted by loosening the 5 allen bolts at the center of the hub.

i think it is a problem with the gears. motor does not 'engage' properly when pushing (i guess doesn't feel the resistance?). once i have momentum the motor works fine, so there is no issue with battery or power, just in getting that power assist to activate.

Quote Originally Posted by kw_56 View Post
    i think it is a problem with the gears. motor does not 'engage' properly when pushing (i guess doesn't feel the resistance?). once i have momentum the motor works fine, so there is no issue with battery or power, just in getting that power assist to activate.
    There is a 50/50 chance that the push rim has become misaligned and hits a spoke. That happened to my iGlide a couple of times. When that happens the resistance is not transmitted to the sensing mechanism inside. The spokes on the pushrim should be centered in the middle of a pair of spokes on the wheel. This is easy to check. When you exert pressure on the push rim, look to see if the top of the pushrim is hitting a wheel rim spoke.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

pushrim hiting spokes

If you look at the gears that engage with the motor, you will see they are wearing out - meaning the aluminum is literally wearing off so there is more (and more) play in the handrim. this can be adjusted a few times by moving the position of the spider assembly by loosening and repositioning the handrim with the 5 screws that attach the handrim to the wheel but before long there will be too much wear and the gear will essentially be dead. There is one thing that can be done to prolong the life but it involves removing one of the spokes at each of the three places where the three handrim/pushrim "spokes" is hitting the wheel spokes thereby making a larger space for the handrim to engage the motor without being stopped by hitting the spokes. Obviously you would need to remove the same spoke in each place - meaning on the same side of the three handrim "spokes" (in front or behind)
    It works for a while.

New Tailwind owners

The new owner of the Tailwind is
    Craig Doescher
    GM
    Clinton River Medical Products LLC
    248-844-2333
    They have a limited supply of parts, and plan to re-launch the chair in 2013.
    Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by bdworman View Post
    The new owner of the Tailwind is
    Craig Doescher
    GM
    Clinton River Medical Products LLC
    248-844-2333
    They have a limited supply of parts, and plan to re-launch the chair in 2013.
    Michelle
    This would be great. I hope it happens.