Thread: Is there anyone with MS without fatigue?

Blog Entries

Is there anyone with MS without fatigue?

I'm curious if that is variable, or one of the defining symptoms of the disease.
    Last edited by Random; 04-02-2012 at 08:03 PM.

Hi Random. I don't know any statistics, but based on my reading, discussions with doctors and what I've heard at meetings of my local MS group, fatigue seems to be quite variable. Many external factors (especially heat) can exacerbate fatigue temporarily, as well. Since fatigue is a feature of any chronic disease process, I wouldn't consider it a defining symptom of MS (even though many people with MS report it as their major concern).

The literature says 60%, but I think that is low. It is the rare person with MS who does not have issues with fatigue, in my clinical and personal experience. There is actually a classification system for different types of MS-related fatigue, if you are interested in that.

(KLD)

I can barely manage the stability of a complete SCI. I don't know how I'd handle a disability that was changing all the time.

Here is some information on MS fatigue from the NMSS:

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...gue/index.aspx

(KLD)

I wouldn't say that fatigue is one of my worst symptoms, however at times I do suffer with it so much so that it becomes a disabiling symptom.

From what I've read and experienced personally (my mother and grandfather both had MS as wel as myself) fatigue is a major symptom for most people with MS.

Fatigue is one of the major symptoms of MS. It spares no one. Could be possible in rare cases but it is a usual symptom.The best way to combat fatigue related to your MS is to treat the underlying medical cause. Maintaining good nutrition can help you feel better and have more energy.
    Good Luck

MS fatigue

Quote Originally Posted by andreagwolford View Post
    Fatigue is one of the major symptoms of MS. It spares no one. Could be possible in rare cases but it is a usual symptom.The best way to combat fatigue related to your MS is to treat the underlying medical cause. Maintaining good nutrition can help you feel better and have more energy.
    Good Luck

Andreagwolford, Definitely fatigue is a major sympton of MS, My beautiful wife has secondary progressive. They recently switched insurance companies and the new company does not cover provagil which helps her function during the day. It's so sad it's everything my poor wife can do to manage thru the day. She has to drink energy drinks. I hate insurance companies!!