Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a breathable blanket. Suggestions?

Question Need a breathable blanket. Suggestions?

Hey guys!

I cannot for the life of me keep a comfy body temp in bed anymore. Being a quad blows somedays. I'm freezing either or overheating....wake up every 3 hrs. I never used to have this problem. I'm pretty sure my sheet+knit blanket+comforter combo is flawed somehow. Does anyone have any suggestions for bedding that helps keep your body temp better regulated?

Thanks!
    May the fetus you save be gay

I don't use a sheet between comforter, seems to help.

I skip the upper sheet too. Then an open weave cotton thermal blanket made for summers and a pile blanket to trap warm air on top of that. When it has suddenly gotten cold or I have at least I keep a quilt near by. Too warm and I toss my side of the pile blanket on my better half. :0 By comforter do you mean like a down one covered in a duvet? If so you may need a lighter one for summer and heavier for winter. The Company Store has sales on theirs occasionally and we used those for quite a few years before and after my SCI then I thought they were both too hot and switched back to blankets. Yes, being a quad sucks.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

There is a selection of bedding items (mattress pads, sheets, pillow cases, and blankets and even sleepwear) known as "Outlast."
    http://www.outlastsleepsystem.com/

Here are some comments from the website:
    "Bedding with OutlastĀ® technology keeps you at a steady, comfortable temperature throughout the entire night – so you sleep better, longer!Unlike traditional fabrics that trap heat, products with OutlastĀ® technology respond to each person’s unique body temperature to balance the microclimate under the covers. OutlastĀ® technology is proactive, continuously absorbing excess body heat, storing it, then releasing it to maintain a steady, comfortable temperature throughout the night."

Below is a schematic of their system.

My wife is considering getting the mattress pad and sheets for this summer.

I prefer sleeping with all natural fibers, cotton and wool. 100% cotton sheet, then a 100% wool blanket (different weights for summer and winter) and 100% cotton sheet on top of the blanket. In the winter, I usually use a cotton flannel sheet under a wool blanket, 100% cotton sheet on top.

Another thing to consider is if any of your medications have side effects that might involve regulation of body temperature. If this is something that has come on suddenly, speak with your doctor about possible medical tests that might help explain the change.

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by Theophania View Post
    Hey guys!

I cannot for the life of me keep a comfy body temp in bed anymore. Being a quad blows somedays. I'm freezing either or overheating....wake up every 3 hrs. I never used to have this problem. I'm pretty sure my sheet+knit blanket+comforter combo is flawed somehow. Does anyone have any suggestions for bedding that helps keep your body temp better regulated?

Thanks!
    I don't know if this will help but though I don't have an SCI I do change body temperature a lot while I sleep, from freezing to way too hot. Anyhow, what I do is go to bed with layers, a sheet, cotton blanket, fleece blanket and then a pretty breathable comfortor. I keep shedding and adding layers as I sleep. I'll push off a layer, put it aside and maye two, then cover up a little again as I wake up cold. I don't know your level of ability so this may not be an option. I used to fantasize about a mattress that would blow cold air through it from underneath. Press a button or have a thermostat kick in and cool you. Could use it for heat too. But how to make it? No idea. Summer is coming which means I'm going to be keeping a stack of t-shirts on the bed with me to change into as I sweat through them.

I have a sheet, and a heavy fleece banket in the winter, or a woven cotton blanket in the summer. This is topped w/ a lightweight comforter (polyfill lined). Then I have a lap size fleecy throw that I add and subtract during the night.

Like the above poster tho, I don't know what your level is .... I am a para.

And on a really cold night, I sometimes add a second throw.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

We use the sheets and blankets from Sleep Number's Temperature Balancing Collection. Works pretty well for my husband (T4) and we haven't had any problems at night with the temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by acleyba View Post
    We use the sheets and blankets from Sleep Number's Temperature Balancing Collection. Works pretty well for my husband (T4) and we haven't had any problems at night with the temperature.
    The Sleep Number Temperature Balancing Collection is made with Outlast.

There are some ideas out there for beds with fans, cooling and heating devices.

A mattress with a built in fan from a Japanese manufacturer.
    http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09..._gadgets/2.htm

A Bed Fan from Brookstone
    http://www.brookstone.com/bed-fans

The ChiliPad PLS Radiant Cooling And Heating Mattress Pad. I might have concerns about this one and not being able to sense how hot it gets and the tubes causing pressure, although the literature says the tubes are not noticeable.
    http://www.beyondbeds.com/chilipad-c...tress-pad.aspx

All the best,
    GJ

I fought that freezing/hot thing for years. Tons of covers and blankets to get warm, then waking up gasping for air and sweating I was so hot. Then I found out I can regulate my perceived body temp by just covering my head when feeling cold with a pillow or a folded up towel or small blanket and easy to slide off when warm. Might not work for everyone but it's been my remedy.
    DIGG.

Quote Originally Posted by DIGGER View Post
    I fought that freezing/hot thing for years. Tons of covers and blankets to get warm, then waking up gasping for air and sweating I was so hot. Then I found out I can regulate my perceived body temp by just covering my head when feeling cold with a pillow or a folded up towel or small blanket and easy to slide off when warm. Might not work for everyone but it's been my remedy.
    "Ma in her kerchief and I in my cap." It works in "Twas the night before Christmas" by Clement Clarke Moore.

All the best,
    GJ