Thread: Ekso's Exoskeletons Let Paraplegics Walk. Now All It Has To Do Is Convince The World

Ekso's Exoskeletons Let Paraplegics Walk. Now All It Has To Do Is Convince The World

Ekso's Exoskeletons Let Paraplegics Walk. Now All It Has To Do Is Convince The World They're Necessary.

Ekso Bionics builds robotic exoskeletons that can help paraplegics walk. All CEO Eythor Bender has to do is create a market for a product that no one knew they wanted.
    BY Ted Greenwald | March 19, 2012

Tamara Mena was 19 years old when she dismissed all hope of ever walking again. Mena was living in San Diego and working toward a degree in hotel management when she and her boyfriend Patrick decided to hit the clubs in Rosarito Beach, just across the Mexican border. Since they didn't want to risk drinking and driving, they took a cab. They never made it to Mexico.

About 2 miles from their destination, their vehicle slammed into a horse. The impact launched the animal into the air; it landed on top of the cab, crushed the roof to seat level, and killed Patrick and the driver instantly. Mena was paralyzed from the midchest down.

"I wanted to walk," she says. Graced with tawny hair, high cheekbones, and chocolate-brown eyes, Mena, now 25, is a picture of youthful vitality if you overlook the tracheotomy scar where medics inserted a tube to oxygenate her collapsed lungs after the accident. "I looked into walking with braces, but they sucked the energy right out of me. I met with a doctor about stem-cell treatments, but that was costly and there was no guarantee. I gave up. I had to move on."

continue...

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/164/ekso-bionics

Ekso has a long way to go before it's approved for home use by the FDA. ReWalk is a little closer but still needs some finishing touches.