Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Human Stem Cell Work May Start in 5 Years

Human Stem Cell Work May Start in 5 Years

I was able to attend this today. Though others would be interested. Was fascinating. CR sounded strong, determined and focused on where the push needs to continue. I was amazed at his voice quality and how improved it seemed since I saw him in May.....hopefully the phrenic nerve pacer is helping and he is on his way to being weened.

Human Stem Cell Work May Start in 5 Years

By RANDOLPH E. SCHMID
    Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The pioneers of stem cell research said Monday they expect clinical trials in humans within five years.

Political opposition and limited federal funding have delayed efforts to learn how the cells can be used, but work is beginning to progress, James Thomson and John Gearhart said at a briefing at the National Press Club.

The session marked the fifth anniversary of their publication of pioneering research papers on stem cells, the basic cells of early
    development that can grow into any body part.

Thomson, of the University of Wisconsin Madison, was the first to isolate and cultivate human embryonic stem cells. Gearhart, of Johns
    Hopkins University in Baltimore, was first to isolate and culture human germ cells.

Asked to predict the research status if invited back for the 10th anniversary of their findings, Gearhart said: "I am confident we will be in clinical trials with several of these cells." He did not, however, specify which cells or what types of treatment he expected to be undergoing tests five years in the future.

Because stem cells can develop into any body part, scientists say they may hold out hope for one day being able to treat a variety of diseases from Parkinson's to Alzheimer's and others.

However, the work is controversial because embryos discarded from fertility clinics are a major source of embryonic stem cells. Opponents
    decry killing embryos to obtain the cells and President Bush has restricted federal funding to those cell lines that already were being
    used for research two years ago.

Actor Christopher Reeve, immobilized by a spinal cord injury suffered in a horse-riding accident, joined the two researchers and pleaded for more federal funding for their research.

"It is painful to contemplate where we might be today if embryonic stem cell research had been allowed to go forward with full support of the
    government," Reeve said.

Thomson agreed that "if embryonic stem cell research had not been involved in politics we would be far ahead of where we are today." But,
    he added, research is picking up with private money and some federal
    funds.

Gearhart said research at his university also is expanding and that he was encouraged by some of the findings in safety studies.

There had been concerns that transplanted stem cells could grow unchecked and cause cancer, but he said "we haven't seen a tumor yet" in
    thousands of studies in animals.

Copyright 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved.

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles"....C. Reeve 1998

If I received a dollar bill for every story that I have read over the years promissing a "breakthrough", or something positive or conclusive happening,"in 5 years", I would be able to take all 4700 members out to dinner. Hell, I could even pay for drinks too.

Thanks Cheese.

Thomson agreed that "if embryonic stem cell research had not been involved in politics we would be far ahead of where we are today." But,
    he added, research is picking up with private money and some federal
    funds.
    Sigh.

"May start in 5 years" So it seems like in reality it's more probable to be 10-15 years rather than 5.

Please get us out of this mess!

Hopefully it will start outside the US sooner. If it starts in the US in 5 years, clinical trials can easily extend this out another 7-11 years. Think 2019-2020.

Stem Cell Clinical Trials Coming Soon

Stem Cell Clinical Trials Coming Soon
    Scientists Meet In Singapore For Conference

POSTED: 8:01 a.m. EST October 28, 2003

WASHINGTON -- The pioneers of stem cell research say they expect clinical trials in humans within five years.

STEM CELLS
    Pro-Research: National Institutes Of Health
    Anti-Research:
    Center For Bioethics And Human Dignity
    Fund Research?
    Post Your View

John Gearhart, of Johns Hopkins University, and James Thomson, of the University of Wisconsin, spoke at the National Press Club on the fifth anniversary of their publication of research papers on stem cells.

The scientists say political opposition and limited federal funding have delayed efforts to learn how the cells can be used, but work is beginning to progress.

Gearhart said if he's invited back on the 10th anniversary of his findings, he said he's confident clinical trials will have begun with several stem cells. He didn't specify which ones or say what kind of treatment he expected to be undergoing tests.

Meanwhile, more than 500 scientists are gathered in Singapore for a three-day conference centered on stem cells. They'll discuss how to harness the cells to help people suffering from a variety of medical conditions, including diabetes and Parkinson's disease.

Organizers are also hoping to showcase the growing biomedical sector in Singapore, which has become a center for research into human embryonic stem cells.

Much of Tuesday's focus was on attracting more talent and investment to the island. On Wednesday, the government will unveil its resort-like Biopolis, which was built to give biotech researchers a place to live and work.

Singapore has some of the world's most liberal guidelines for stem cell research.

Stem cells are the basic cells of early development that can grow into any body part. The field of stem cell research has been controversial because days-old embryos must be destroyed to harvest the cells.

Previous Stories:
    April 22, 2003: Study: Baby Teeth Provide

http://www.thecarolinachannel.com/he...45/detail.html

I hope stem cell researchers in China are reading this.

I would be willing to wager that one day former President Bush will benefit from stem cell therapies. . . . .

What!!!!! Only 5 years, why the rush?

"I QUESS THEY'LL HAVE TO RUN OUT OF RATS, BEFORE THEY TRY IT OUT IN HUMANS. WAKE ME UP WHEN IT'S OVER !!!"

Jeremy,

Seems like a long time to me too. I'm willing to take a chance a helluva lot sooner. Lets hope Singapore makes better progress than we expect.

"5 years" is what we always hear.
    When I was disabled in '95, I watched a morning show that did a topic on CR and a doctor said there would be a cure in 5 years.
    It was in Oct. '95, I wish I had written down the Dr. name but I was dumb about this stuff then.
    But, I'm still waiting.