Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why are quads more likely to walk again?

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyed_daisy View Post
    My doctor was right the opposite and said I would never walk again. He went so far as to tell my parents that they needed to hire someone to take care of my daughter because I would never be able to.

I really didn't care either way. I wanted to live because I had a six month old baby who needed a mother. Her father walked away not long after my accident and somehow I knew he wasn't going to stay.

I also had an injury to my head which they told my parents another 1/8 of inch and I would have been decapitated. My scar goes all the way across the back of my head from ear to ear like a skin flap.

Why am I saying all this? The surgeon had been on call 24 hours when I came in and then they had a plant explosion. Other trauma got taken before me as I was now stable. What he said "way back then" is neither here nor there. They really don't know.

You have made your focus having a family and a career. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that as long as your life brings you happiness. It has taken me years to realize that. It's really not about walking or not walking although I understand completely your desire and your heart.

You don't lack motivation at all. Go join that gym and share your progress.
    Thats great, it sounds like you really bounced back and proved them wrong!!!
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    I do know some people who refused to accept the chair and could walk and pretty near destroyed their bodies in doing so. Sometimes best not to push the envelope too hard.
    I am one of those people
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

My answer was going to be 'gray matter' as well on the lower part of the spine.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

It is an interesting question. I know that if I sustained the kind of injuries at a C level that I did at my T8 level I would not have lived. My sternum was cracked, pretty much every rib on one side broken, including a collapsed lung. Hard to see me living through that impact higher up on my body. Maybe you can just sustain more severe injuries lower since there is more of the body around the spine.

I am one of those people
    You have just not reach the point yet My neighbor with MS, I think I have written about her before, found out yesterday it was time. Like me, you are going to regret you didn't do it before when the time comes. Like this
    TH 12, 43 years post

I am one of those people
    Yep - I'm nursing a hyperextended thumb on my left hand - yep - crutches.
    Use crutches when you need to so you can when you need to.