Thread: Cross Roads Walker Handcyclist and his Rig

Cross Roads Walker Handcyclist and his Rig

I received this message from Dennis Crowley a few months ago about his wanting to finish off a cross America challenge he had to curtail from a while. He sent me a few photos of his touring rig he made up. I trust those that will be on his route will help in anyway when he takes off.

Presently, he is riding the rig to Lake Tahoe to test out his conditioning. From Dennis:

When I started looking into the sport of handcycling (exactly a year ago this month) it was my intention to do a ride across America at some point in the future. I walked across America on Route 66 a few years ago and began a walk the fall of 2008 on the Lincoln Highway (America's first coast-to-coast highway established in 1913) that goes from a spot near the Golden Gate bridge in San Francisco to Times Square in New York City. I walked the California stretch, but started having trouble with both my knees and ankles and shut it all down and have still not regained full and normal use of my legs. It has been my hope that I would be able to finish that journey using a handcycle and now with time on my hands I am giving it serious consideration.

I have trained through the winter and spent the last few weeks designing and building a hitch setup to pull the Burley Nomad Bicyle trailer I customized to walk with. As of today it is done and I am waiting for the paint to cure. As soon as I get it all bolted in I will send you some pics. I have tested it out with a camping load in the trailer and have been surprised at how well and "relatively easy" it pulled.

To be honest Pat, it is still yet to be proven if I could physically pull it off, but at this point I want to at least try. At this moment I am making preparations to be in South Lake Tahoe, California the first week in April and heading east from there. The stretch from there through Carson City, southeast to Ely, Nevada, north to Wendover, Utah and on into Salt Lake City is a 700 mile challenge from any perspective encompassing seven mountain passes and vast desert. AAA, many years ago named this stretch of road the Lonliest Road in America for good reason. From Salt Lake City the old Lincoln pretty much parallels Interstate 80 across Wyoming before becoming and intertwining with U.S. 30 for its path through most of the midwest before dipping southeast in Pennsylvania and terminating in Times Square.

Even if I could physically rise to the occasion funds are limited and I may have to stop and work along the way, but that would be something I would be willing to do if I knew that I could pull this off.

I have already gained the interest & support of the National Lincoln Highway Association and would think that the handicap & handcycle sports community might want to rally around this undertaking. I would think that it certainly would give both entities public awareness. What do you think and where do you think I should go with my journey from here with regards to the handicap and handcycle sports community at large?

Any input you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
    Dennis Crowley

My friend, Kenny Herriot, handcycled across the USA from SFO to NYC in 2009. He dumped a load of footage on me and I made this 10 minute video about it for him.

He had a camper with 2 people follow him, so a different prospect from your man.

Great video Mark! Glad he was okay after being hit; man was he lucky.

The Remembrance Expedition

Hello Everyone.

My name is Dennis Crowley and I am the man Patrick spoke about. I was really honored that Pat thought enough of me to post about my journey today. I have been working towards this journey for a long time, actually for several years and now it is right before me.

If anyone is interested in keeping up with me, have any questions, or wants to help in anyway, you can reach me via my personal email address which is crossroadswalker@yahoo.com. I will have a netbook with me so I will be able to check emails as I am able to, of course.

I hope I will be able to meet many of you along the way!

Dennis

Well GOOD LUCK to you man...!!! Love the rig..... That is one helluva tough ride you are undetaking. Are you going to use it to raise money? If you choose to do that you will find lots of opportunities open up to publisize it and get some help too....
    very cool

Give her hell Dennis, sounds like great fun. Be safe. That's some wild country you'll be riding in.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

good luck! I used to live near US 30 in Indiana. My dad still does in Valparaiso. I'm down in central IN now, if I wasn't I would have loved to see you going!
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Got this from Dennis today. he is on his way:Hi Pat!

The miles are starting to pile up. Today I made my way from Lake Tahoe to Carson City over Spooner Pass. What a slow grind that was! You can see me smiling when the day began and me looking pooped at the top of the pass before descending down a 10-mile 6% grade into Carson City. Thank God that what goes up MUST come down!

Hope all is well,
    Dennis

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MarkB701 View Post
    My friend, Kenny Herriot, handcycled across the USA from SFO to NYC in 2009. He dumped a load of footage on me and I made this 10 minute video about it for him.

He had a camper with 2 people follow him, so a different prospect from your man.
    Awesome! So glad he was alright after being hit by a car on his handcycle.
    What an inspiration he truly is.

Update from Dennis

Update from Dennis: The Point of "Know"Return

Pat,

I am taking a break and resting up in a motel room in Fallon, Nevada, the home of the infamous Top Gun fighter training base. I have put the handcycle (and myself, of course) through the various paces & tests and will be heading out on Friday for the 110-mile journey to Austin, Nevada. This will be the first and also one of the longest desolate stretches on U.S. 50 which AAA named the Lonlies Road in America. I am stocking up on supplies, etc today and getting myself ready for the challenge.

The pics are from my first camping spot in Nevada. You can see how the hc rolls into the tent with me. The trailer rests in the front vestibule as the last thing I do at night when I shut the door to the tent.

If you are a serious music fan you will recognize the title of this email as a song by the classic rock group Kansas. It is a great play on words as this truly is the point of no return for me and I jolly well need to know that I can pull it off before I set off!

Hope all is well.

Dennis