Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: camber tube snapped , has this happened to anyone?

camber tube snapped , has this happened to anyone?

so a couple of days ago I noticed that my right wheel was starting to rub on my back rest, so I toke a look at it when I was sitting in the bathroom. I noticed a bent camber tube and was quite worried if I could even make it to my spare chair in time before it broke. Thank god I made it. The picture is what it looks like now. Has this happened to anyone?

I called Tilite and honestly they acted like it was nothing and never even offered a replacement. True, my chair wsout of warranty but still, thats a part you don't expect to break. Let's put it this way, I've been in a chair for 20 plus years and never ever had that happen.I was thinking about getting another tilite but now with that kind of customer service, I'm just now sure anymore. Thoughts?

I called and talked with the Tilite tech. today about my TR making a bad popping and cracking sound since replacing the entire axle tube. One of the questions that he asked me was if I had broke my original axle tube into so that maybe I could put it back in and see if my chair still popped and cracked. The complete axle assembly cost me around $150.00 in case you were wondering and it took 3 days for me to get it.
    SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
    T4,5,6 Incomplete
    Chair: TiLite TR3

Quote Originally Posted by emanshiu View Post
    so a couple of days ago I noticed that my right wheel was starting to rub on my back rest, so I toke a look at it when I was sitting in the bathroom. I noticed a bent camber tube and was quite worried if I could even make it to my spare chair in time before it broke. Thank god I made it. The picture is what it looks like now. Has this happened to anyone?

I called Tilite and honestly they acted like it was nothing and never even offered a replacement. True, my chair wsout of warranty but still, thats a part you don't expect to break. Let's put it this way, I've been in a chair for 20 plus years and never ever had that happen.I was thinking about getting another tilite but now with that kind of customer service, I'm just now sure anymore. Thoughts?
    Clearly, your camber tube should not have snapped like that. Thankfully you weren't injured.

What is the width of your chair? I have a spare titanium TiLite camber tube in a closet collecting dust. If the size works for you, it's yours.

Wow, how scary!

It's not clear to me that the camber tube is not considered part of the frame of the wheelchair.

http://www.tilite.com/assets/pdf/Ltd_Warranty.pdf

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    It's not clear to me that the camber tube is not considered part of the frame of the wheelchair.

http://www.tilite.com/assets/pdf/Ltd_Warranty.pdf
    wonder if the chair is older than 5 yrs? States in warranty the expected "lifetime" of a chair is 5 yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    wonder if the chair is older than 5 yrs? States in warranty the expected "lifetime" of a chair is 5 yrs.

yeah my chair is a litle over 5 years , but Ive owned many chairs from different brands for quite a long time, never had a camber tube break like that. What's more distressing is the lack of care when i talked to them. I'm not sure now whether I want to stick with Tilite anymore because of this.Parts break and that's life but they just could care a dam. It was just dumb luck that i didn't fall while pushing!

Disregard the the expected 5 year lifetime of the the chair, it doesn't have any legal significance with respect to the terms of the warranty. The frame is warrantied for life. The question to be answered is whether or not the camber tube is considered a part of the frame (I would think it is) or is it a component.

I broke one on a Quickie. I was out and about and heard a loud snap as it broke but it didn't crack all the way through and a friend was able to duct tape it with a strong back until I got back home. I sleeved the cracked tube with another thicker tube which was 1.25 ID as a temporary fix and have yet to change it out.

I broke one in the exact spot. Right about 5 years. Didn't consider checking the warranty. i bought a new one for about $150 from Tiite. Got lucky as well and it broke in my kitchen.
    -------------------------
    "...the most reliable and useful courage was that which arises from the fair estimation of the encountered peril..." Herman Melville: Moby Dick