Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leg bag issues

Leg bag issues

I use euro care leg bags and now can only find the clear exention tubing. I'm having trouble with odor from both the bag and the tubes. What is my best option to contain this odor? Bags & tubes?

Thanks

The Bard leg bags my spouse uses started coming in clear tubing several months ago too. There was a discussion here and I think it had to do with latex? Maybe someone here remembers.
    As far as the odor I'm not sure what you mean.
    We flush the tube and bag with diluted bleach water every night when change to the overnite bag and then change out the bags weekly.

Hi "TREA18,"

Are you using UROCARE leg bags? Vinyl or latex?

Urocare distributes white rubber and clear vinyl drainage and extension tubing. See the various tubing products at the site below. You can buy it from Urocare or search by part number at on line medical supply companies.
    http://www.urocare.com/products/Drai...sionTubing.php

Urocare suggests using their cleaner called Urolux® Urinary & Ostomy Appliance Cleanser and Deodorant for cleaning their leg bags. This cleaner works well on the latex bags which do not hold up to cleaning with a 10% bleach solution over time. The vinyl bags can be cleaned and deodorized with a 10% bleach solution which kills odors and bacteria. For instance, add 30cc of common household bleach without added fragrance to 300cc of hot water, pour into the bag and agitate for 30 seconds or so, drain, and allow the leg bag to dry on clean paper toweling.

How frequently do you change the leg bags and tubing?

All the best,
    GJ

I'm really thinking it's from the bag more than the tube. We put a new tube and bag on Monday night and I could smell urine yesterday afternoon, so I didn't know if things are getting cheaper or if there might be other bags that contain the smell better. I use the reusable latex bag.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TREA18 View Post
    I'm having trouble with odor from both the bag and the tubes.
    I have found that whenever my bag has a strong odor, I probably have a urinary tract infection. There is one strain of infection that appears to particularly react with leg bags to create a foul odor that escapes the bag.
    C-6/7 incomplete

I'm really thinking it's from the bag more than the tube. We put a new tube and bag on Monday night and I could smell urine yesterday afternoon, so I didn't know if things are getting cheaper or if there might be other bags that contain the smell better. I use the reusable latex bag.

Thanks
    How have you been cleaning the latex legbags? Have you tried the Urolux cleaner?
    According to the Urocare website, their new latex bags are now made with "Odor Guard." (whatever that means). I have posted (below) a pdf from Urocare describing care of the latex bag. Urocare makes vinyl leg bag that can be cleaned with bleach solution that may make the odor less noticeable.

Do you have a urinary tract infection that may be causing the odor?

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    How have you been cleaning the latex legbags? Have you tried the Urolux cleaner?
    According to the Urocare website, their new latex bags are now made with "Odor Guard." (whatever that means). I have posted (below) a pdf from Urocare describing care of the latex bag. Urocare makes vinyl leg bag that can be cleaned with bleach solution that may make the odor less noticeable.

Do you have a urinary tract infection that may be causing the odor?

All the best,
    GJ
    Sorry the pdf didn't load. I'll try again.

I just checked my urine last week and I think it was the cleanest sample I've ever tested. As far as white boold cell count and other foreign matter.

Thanks

I just checked my urine last week and I think it was the cleanest sample I've ever tested. As far as white boold cell count and other foreign matter.

Thanks
    Reassessing your cleaning procedure may be helpful.

"I just checked my urine last week..." Was this check a Urinalysis (UA) and/or Culture and Sensitivity (C&S) done by a lab or a home dipstick test?

Have you changed any medications, started taking something that may cause urine odor?

Have you eaten any foods that may cause urine odor, i.e., asparagus, onions, garlic, coffee to name a few?

Your bladder may be colonized with bacteria (meaning you have bacteria growing in the urine, but the bacteria is not causing clinical symptoms of a urinary tract infection). This can cause your urine to have an odor and become cloudy.

Have you considered trying Vetericyn instillations to eliminate colonization and possibly bladder infections? Below are a few threads you may want to read and study about Vetericyn that many of us use.
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=133414
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=149966
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=143797
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=167480

http://vetericyn.com/technology/faq.php

All the best,
    GJ

Clorox

I use euro care leg bags and now can only find the clear exention tubing. I'm having trouble with odor from both the bag and the tubes. What is my best option to contain this odor? Bags & tubes?

Thanks
    Clorox bleach fixes the problem. Gallon bottle $1.59.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."