Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dressing like an adult, and how to feel feminine??

i compensate by wearing long tops. anything that is 27 - 33inches in length. this also helps me to look longer in the torso but also, shorter tops hit right at the quad belly, making me look bigger than i actually am
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

I hate my quad gut! I am always looking for Ts that are nice, have cool abstract graphics with maybe a bit of metallic to them and.....short enough that when in my chair the front doesn't bunch up. Finders fee will be offered if any of you know where I can find something that is maybe 24-25" from back of neck to back hem with all of the above. I have Chico's covered already. And I really need a couple of button down blouses that have a straight bottom hem no shirt tails and maybe a bit longer then Ts. Three quarter length sleeves would be best. Long sleeve cuffs get filthy pushing any where and short sleeves show off some not so smooth elbows. Also saw and like some of the almost peasant type tops in different bright colors and a bit of metallic near the neckline. Yes, I have a casual high school reunion the end of July and Tommy Bahama has dropped most of his womens line for menswear. Life in summer was much easier when he had a huge line. And I will lose the weight so I can fit back into that suff hanging in my closet!

Cryptic, I find the perfect length to hide the gut is if the top hits about an inch above where your thighs start when seated. On me the longer stuff just bunches up and adds to the gut. Chico's also has some pants that are cut just low enough that they don't leave bruises on my stomach but also cover my butt. I'm too old to show off my ass for free. ;-)

Right now I'm trying to take off about 20 pounds that my last PCP let me gain by not having a scale. Then I'll be buying new Lee side elastic jeans, can order them only online from Pennys, Kohls and I think Sears, in every color and all the denim they have. Without back pockets I've had few sore issues over the last 20 years and they are durable for daily wear.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I was staying at a friends house for a couple days recently and saw this tv commercial for this thing that makes it look like your top is layered and helps cover that area on your stomach/hips, like a dickie but for that area. I was like WHOA, actually I'd love those... I need to find what it was! You got 4 in an order, each a different color. They looked like halter tops, but you wore them around your stomach/hips under your top.

I need to find some longer tops. And nice tops, not just tshirts lol. I have such an obsession with tshirts though, especially ones from threadless.com. I wish I had money! I'm wanting to buy some dresses/skirts for the summer from goodwill. One problem I realized is due to the way I sit they will all have to be long enough to cover my knees. I sit in my chair with a couple inches between my legs, I can't sit with my knees together because it hurts my hips. So I'll need stuff long enough that I'm not giving anyone a show!
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

i had to google what a dickie was... lol

lol cryptic! I don't think I've ever worn a dickie. In the commerical they compared it to them, so that was one of the things I remembered and thought was helpful when trying to describe it.

Found it! If anyone has a tailor I'm sure they would be easy to make. I may try making some myself since I sew, looks pretty simple. I just don't usually work with that type of material (stretchy tshirt). They can probably be found cheaper, but here's the site from when I googled:

https://www.asseenontv.com/hip-t-lay...l.php?p=365893

A good way to make sure you aren't showing crack, don't have too much bulk in the stomach area, and wear your shorter tops but still have something that goes to that perfect length discussed by a few here.

I've been debating making a vanity cover for my chair. I have a Jay 3 and it didn't come with the vanity flap. But going into summer, I was thinking it might be nicer to leave that bit open for airflow. But don't want to be showing anything... These seem like a possible fix.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/inti...Top++12468.jsp

I was thinking of one of these because of the comments about the main part not being like a control garment. I find most binder type things ride up or down. Lin your idea sounds pretty good. My only problem with either is the "step into it like pants or a skirt". Umm, hard to do.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I live in S. Fl. I wear stilettos, Sky tops, jeans, mermaid skirts, maxi dresses....almost anything I want For inexpensive every day wear, I do like to shop online at Alloy and Body Central. The quality is pretty much reflective of the cost but fun none the less
    As long as you can without any repercussions, wear what you feel good in!
    "The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter"
    ~"Vanilla Sky"~

Quote Originally Posted by Lorrie View Post
    I live in S. Fl. I wear stilettos, Sky tops, jeans, mermaid skirts, maxi dresses....almost anything I want For inexpensive every day wear, I do like to shop online at Alloy and Body Central. The quality is pretty much reflective of the cost but fun none the less
    As long as you can without any repercussions, wear what you feel good in!
    i LOVE your personal style! it's fierce.

i wish i could wear adult shoes but my feet are about a 2.5 children's size :/ everything else grew except for them! but sometimes i can find a good shoe on sale at zappos or target but then i feel bummed that little kids shoes look like adult shoes. it seems wrong. they should all wear jellies!! lol

i like that idea Lin but seems like you could do that with an old tshirt? just cut it at an angle? but it also wouldnt restrict my mitro, which is always a concern!

At the op why not just use your chair when u wanna wear high heels

I found some tops I really like at JCP made by Unity World Wear. I live in Texas so cool material is a must. The tops that are made of polyester/spandex are really soft and cool. The polyester are cool too but not as soft. If you have a JCP nearby I would go look at them in the store instead of ordering online. I have found some of the petite fit me better because they aren't as long. They also have alot of peasant tops, just search peasant.

Here's a link the Unity World tops at JCP;
    http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/jsp/s...questid=728024
    Renee