Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Dressing like an adult, and how to feel feminine??

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    My only problem with either is the "step into it like pants or a skirt". Umm, hard to do.
    I'm sure you could pull it over your head too, and then slide it down. Thats the way I'd do it. Even though I can stand I don't put on pants standing because I can't stand on my left leg alone.

If a cut tshirt was the right size and stretchy enough to stay in place there it would work too. I don't think any of my tshirts are the right material to do that with, and then theres my concern about sewing with that kind of material since I'm not experienced. But I might give it a shot, because I was looking around online and I swear they're all much more expensive than I saw in that tv commercial! It probably needs the just right amount of snugness so it won't slide down.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    I'm sure you could pull it over your head too, and then slide it down. Thats the way I'd do it. Even though I can stand I don't put on pants standing because I can't stand on my left leg alone.

If a cut tshirt was the right size and stretchy enough to stay in place there it would work too. I don't think any of my tshirts are the right material to do that with, and then theres my concern about sewing with that kind of material since I'm not experienced. But I might give it a shot, because I was looking around online and I swear they're all much more expensive than I saw in that tv commercial! It probably needs the just right amount of snugness so it won't slide down.
    it prolly is made of lycra or some sort of jersey fabric. yea i'd pull it over my head too.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    I don't think any of my tshirts are the right material to do that with, and then theres my concern about sewing with that kind of material since I'm not experienced.
    If you aren't much for sewing, try and buy a top specifically to cut .... one that has a lot of lycra, possibly even a cami. That way the hem is already there, it is what will show the most. Then cut the top part off, and finish off the cut edge. It isn;t going to show ... it will be under your regular top, so the easiest way would be just to ziz zag over the edge or turn it under and stitch on a sewing machine to keep it from running or fraying. It won't show, so it doesn't have to be neat.

Do you have a Kohls near you? You could make your own for a lot less than the one on the tv, just by cutting the top off a cami.

This one is lycra spandex. Or even cheaper cotton spandex ones, if you are looking for just coverage, not the slimming factor..... they are only $5.
    Last edited by sjean423; 06-16-2012 at 01:20 PM.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I've been trying to find cheap camis and haven't! I sew, just not that kind of material. I sketch my own patterns and make a lot of stuff, it's how I pay my bills along with leather work lol. I've been sewing more since I got my chair, my back doesn't tolerate long in a regular chair but I can last hours longer in my wheelchair. I do mostly pet supplies. Collars, leashes, dog clothing, cat/dog beds, small animal beds (cosy cups), small animal hammocks, saddle pads, polo wraps... Lol. But when it comes to stretchy fabric I use fleece. I've always been nervous about lycra and spandex blends.

edit: those are more expensive than the price on tv. I wonder if there's another maker of the same product, because it was like 19.99 for 4. Basic colors like one white, black, nude, and pink. I know fabric would be cheaper, especially if I can find some clearance. I need to just start playing around. I've been planning on making some wrist brace covers from 4 way stretch material. I need to hit up the clearance bins at the fabric stores...
    Last edited by ~Lin; 06-16-2012 at 06:42 PM.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Lin, it has been 20 years since I finished sewing drapes and curtains for our last townhouse in Germany and that was with fabrics I sometimes had to stabilize so they wouldn't stretch. Back in high school though when single jerseys and double knits first hit fabric stores I had a basic zigzag Singer machine. I made a halter top with a really expensive knit so practiced on some scraps. Try stretching the material evenly behind and infront of the feeder as it goes through. Once you finish a piece and it doesn't pucker you should have it down. Oh, check fabric content carefully. Do not use unmercerized thread on a cotton spandex blend fabric.
    Might google Flexees for a seconds catalog or store they sell through. Most that TV stuff is cheap because they make their money selling your name as someone who has a credit card to every catalog in the western world.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorrie View Post
    I live in S. Fl. I wear stilettos, Sky tops, jeans, mermaid skirts, maxi dresses....almost anything I want For inexpensive every day wear, I do like to shop online at Alloy and Body Central. The quality is pretty much reflective of the cost but fun none the less
    As long as you can without any repercussions, wear what you feel good in!
    Lorrie,
    Whenever I get stuck with yet another student OT or PT sitting in on my sessions I let them have it about clothing. "Do NOT let your patients wear sweats unless they have stitches still in somewhere that needs covered. Do not even teach them how to put on sweatpants. Too many docs do not have scales and many of us forget about full length mirrors. Sweatshirts are fine because we tend to get cold but suggest nice ones with some detail. And women need to wear bras and not those sleeping things that are as sexy as a 90 year olds bloomers!" Glad you realized right away to stay in what made you feel and look good.

Now I'm back to watching portion control and anything with cholesterol and soon will start assisted sit ups again. Yes, my previous doc got a scorcher email more so about my lipid levels than my weight. He was giving me total cholesterol not that my good kind was so low it doesn't count and I already was watching most animal fats.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I SO hear you. I found that lately I have been basing my whole wardrobe around a brace! Makes me realize that men have it a lot easier. I have found some pretty nice (and even fun) shoes that are working well for me besides sneakers. I don't use a chair, so I have no option to wear my old favorites (boots, sandals) My brace is carbon fiber and has a thin footplate. Girls, don't hide yourselves. Rock what you got!

Here are few links to cute orthotic friendly shoes.

http://www.roamans.com/Product.aspx?...j102496k526055

http://www.amazon.com/MenS-Canvas-Zi...monia+sneakers

I am a womans 8 and buy a mens 7. The extra width really helps with the brace and these demonia shoes are punked out and fun.

2 blocks away from the Real Housewives of Orange County
    I work in a pretty casual office, but I wear dresses or skirts almost every day lately. It's far less of a hassle when using the bathroom. For a smoother look I also wear a one-piece Spanx garment underneath. There is a hole in the crotch for easy "access". I already used a catheter without removing my underwear, so getting used to the Spanx was easy. I have not yet had to remove them in a hurry for an emergency BM (knock on wood!!!!). Other than the ease of access in the bathroom, I think it just looks nicer to wear a dress or skirt.

When I was able bodied I wore a lot of suits/jackets. But these are difficult to manage when using a chair. The sides rub on the tires or the arms and shoulders may be too tight and uncomfortable, binding when pushing my chair. So, I don't wear suit jackets anymore, and have switched to wearing a lot of twin sets and light sweaters. I'm lucky to live in Southern California, where you only need a coat about once or twice a year. :-)

As far as shoes, I can wear strappy wedge heels, but anything higher than 1 1/2 inches is uncomfortable and makes my knees too high, which puts more pressure on my butt bones. The higher the height of the shoe, the more I must be concious of the placement of my feet on my footplate. Very high shoes cause my ankles to bend over, and that makes my feet look funny. I can't wear high spikey heels or those cute "princess/ballerina" slip-on shoes because they come off whenever I transfer in/out of my car, or to/from the toilet. Gross, who wants to be in a public restroom in bare feet! In the Winter I have a couple of pairs of boots. I once got an unexplained pressure sore on my pinky toe. I don't think it was because of my shoes, as more of a problem with the chair I had at the time, and the way my left foot always slid over, and the outside of my foot would be pushed against the frame that held the footplate. In any case, since then I threw out all of my shoes and started over buy buying only "wide" width shoes. They are very hard to find in stores. Most of the shoes that I buy are from online catalogs, the Naturalizer store or plus sized clothing stores.

I try to look as fashionable as possible. I feel like the first thing that people look at is my feet, because people tend to look down at my legs to "inspect" me. I don't know why this is, but when people first see me, it seems like they need to see my legs to see if they are "normal" looking. Which, by the way, my legs are not very atrophied. I don't know why this is, one is a little skinnier than the other, but not very noticeable. For the most part, except for the scabs on my knees from running into things, my legs look pretty normal.

I understand wanting to dress as nicely as possible. Dressing, to me, is really important. I have gained a lot of weight since my injury 15 years ago. I feel and look fatter than I am. In my mind's eye I feel like I look like a huge, over-filled tick with a tiny head and arms/legs. Of course I know this is ridiculous. I obviously have a very poor self image. I don't know what to do about it. I have a huge stomach and large breasts and while sitting in my chair everything is all squished together. Ugh! I NEVER look at myself in the mirror from the neck down. I will only look at myself from the neck up. I avoid looking at myself in full length mirrors and windows. To me, next to the obvious bladder and bowel problems, is number 3 on my list of things I hate about being paralyzed.

One thing to remember when wearing a dress or a skirt is to keep your knees together! I didn't realize this problem until one day, many years ago, a woman coworker of mine told me that she could see clear up to my vajayjay!!!!! After that I got some knee/leg straps from SportAid.com and wear one all of the time. It makes it nicer to keep things from constantly falling off of my lap too.
    Last edited by wheeliegirl; 06-18-2012 at 07:33 PM. Reason: add sentance