Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: repair spinal cord

repair spinal cord

last night i saw on national geographic a documental called medical breaktrough in where there was a chinese doctor that repairs the spinal cord , they showed a 13 year old who was already walking. does somebody knows something about this?

I have heard that Dr. Cheng in Taiwan recently was on Taiwanese TV with one of his patients who recovered a lot of function. I also heard National Geographic was there so this is probably the same story.

Unforuntately I couldn't find anything in Taiwanese newspapers or on National Geographic's website.

Javier678 did you see the show? Can you tell us some details?

I wonder if Cheng has really good data. It would be intense if there were some predictors of recovery. If the ones who will gain extensively could somehow be ascertained beforehand, all these experimental procedures would really take off. If I could know that I'm likely to benefit near the top of the group I'd be highly motivated.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

javier678,

Was the procedure discussed, that is whether it was physical therapy, cell therapy, etc.?

MK99,

Isn't Cheng credible? I have heard of his work in the past using a growth cocktail. If I remember Vgrafen had this done sometime ago with no improvement.

How do we find out more details?

I saw the show and dr. cheng makes like a bridge between the white and gray tisue of the spinal cord with a little nerves extracted from the ribs cage, he does this because the white area of the spinal cord does not accept any kind of regrow of conections because the white area of the spinal cord kills the new cells that are growing and the grey area permit the cells to grow and connect, this is because he is building this kind of bridge to make the white area like the gray and then when the white area is ready, a cocktail of several hormones and regrow factors are injected in the affected area.
    This is what i understood, i don't know if somebody elese has a better explanetion. In the documentary says that 50 recruited patients are being treated with this procedure and dr. cheng says that almost all the patients have between 70 & 80 percent of recovery.

javier - 70-80% recovery in most patients would be a huge breakthrough. I've never heard it described that way. We've had a few of our members receive Cheng's treatment, including MK99 who is a moderator. Unfortunately, I haven't heard of a lot of recovery from the ones from here who went to Taiwan. I'd love to hear more, though. Is there anything more you can tell us?

Thanks!

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

I wonder if Dr. Young knows Dr. Cheng?

Dr. Young, is this something you could check into for the forum members? Sounds like a big human trial with 50 participants.

Javier:
    Hello, I saw the same program about 2 weeks from my brother s injury, he is C5 ASIAC incomplete, I look over the net in google and then I made contact with a person who gave me his e mail, which he almost never answer, he finally answer it about a month ago and told me that he has limitations because he has not goverment permission to treat patients for from other countries yet. The trial is pretty much what you saw ( rerouting the nerves and adding a growth factor "cocktail") and it is already started with 45 participants, but he has not published yet, his study is in phase I, he will start II stage next summer (There is a waiting list)to participate in that stage. I wrote to you in english because I thougth there will be more people in this forum interested in this information, if you or any other want to contact me about this my e mail is lnandab@hotmail.com
    Dr Cheng mail is hc_cheng@vghtpe.gov.tw
    I think this one is a very promissing study the National geographic documental is very impressive because of the recovery of the patients in it. We have to wait and see the results.

NANDA

Anyone know what was the name of the show? I would like to see it if they rerun it.
    Thanks

Here is some information about Dr. Cheng which Wise posted on our forums:

[This message was edited by seneca on 10-20-03 at 09:47 PM.]