Thread: Wheelchair Basketball Question....

Wheelchair Basketball Question....

How do I make my chair using my weight and without the wheels?
    I'm a T12-L1 incomplete para with some leg and hip function and most of lower trunk.

Do the rear have to be positioned in a certain way according to my body?
    Never Give Up!

Chef are talking about without anti tippers. Being such a low para, without anti tippers, is to get the wheels as far forward as you feel comfortable and also putting the back angle as far forward as you can tolerate. That way you are still getting quickness and stability. Have you learned to use your heel to steer the chair. I think it's illegal but I remember a lot of low paras trying to get away with it.

Why would you want to go without anti tippers? Every player I have seen has the "5th wheel" (and some have dual 5th wheels). It is in my opinion necessary to have that 5th wheel. Not only does it help with not falling backwards, but being such a low para it will enable you to turn on that wheel and be quicker in those turns than just relying on your larger wheels.

Putting your heal on the ground is definitely illegal and will be called as a personal advantage foul which acts similarly to a technical foul...by awarding 2 free throws to the opposite team. That was called several times at this year's national competition.

Now if you are asking how can I get the chair to move without using the wheels, the answer is 2 fold. The first is you want the chair as tight to you as possible. That way when you turn your body to the left or the right, the chair will respond to that movement. The second is to practice. The more you practice, the more you will get your chair to move in the direction your body is moving. There was one guy at Nationals that could maneuver around several people by just leaning his body one way or another. He was a double amputee, but was quite good at it. Since you are a lower injury, you should be able to do similar things as long as your chair is tight to you and you practice the moving.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

I'm the same level, with similar function. I pivot my upper body the direction I want to go, then use my trunk to twist my lower legs back in-line with my torso. As long as I lead with a torso twist I can generate enough torque with my trunk/hips to 'pull' my lower half along.

I can carve a decent S turn around a stationary defender like this. Especially someone planted expecting to draw a charge on me when I'm booking down court.

A snug chair with 2 good straps is a must, IMO.

Been a while since I've played...

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    I'm the same level, with similar function. I pivot my upper body the direction I want to go, then use my trunk to twist my lower legs back in-line with my torso. As long as I lead with a torso twist I can generate enough torque with my trunk/hips to 'pull' my lower half along.

I can carve a decent S turn around a stationary defender like this. Especially someone planted expecting to draw a charge on me when I'm booking down court.

A snug chair with 2 good straps is a must, IMO.

Been a while since I've played...
    I have spacers between my clothing guards and chair which I'm going to remove tomorrow. I may even bend my side guards a bit to bring them closer to my thighs. I do use 2 straps and can turn but I want to be able to do a "C" cut.

Thanks!!
    Never Give Up!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Chef are talking about without anti tippers. Being such a low para, without anti tippers, is to get the wheels as far forward as you feel comfortable and also putting the back angle as far forward as you can tolerate. That way you are still getting quickness and stability. Have you learned to use your heel to steer the chair. I think it's illegal but I remember a lot of low paras trying to get away with it.
    What do you mean by back angle? My backrest? I can't really put my heel to the floor, I don't have enough function below my knees. I'll move the rear wheels one notch forward and see what happens at next practice.

Thanks!!
    Never Give Up!

If you have an adjustable back angle you could move it forward. Sounds like you don't have that adjustment.

Good thing you can't put your heel to the floor lol,cause it's illegal. Sounds like you're really getting into it chef. It seems the chair is never quite right and can always be tweaked a bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    If you have an adjustable back angle you could move it forward. Sounds like you don't have that adjustment.

Good thing you can't put your heel to the floor lol,cause it's illegal. Sounds like you're really getting into it chef. It seems the chair is never quite right and can always be tweaked a bit better.
    My backrest is fixed but I think I can change the angle. How does that affect turning?

I have been this passionate since my accident! I want to maximize what function I have to my advantage.
    Never Give Up!