Thread: Driving your van with your joystick

Thumbs up Driving your van with your joystick

Hey guys!

As a C6 quad, I've been driving for 7 years (started driving at age 25). I use a tri-pin on my wheel/controllers and a pneumatic air-powered hand control system (it works ok enough....it will freeze in the Minnesota winters sometimes but I don't want to get into that).

The other day I made this post on SPINALpedia the other day of Dan Harvey, a C4 quad, who drives his van using his chair's joystick. I always knew this was possible, but seeing it in action is pretty crazy. I'm jealous! (I know it costs a pretty penny though). Has anyone ever tried this out? And what's the highest level someone has been able to drive using this set-up...?

You can watch Dan's video/read my post (watch him drive around with his friend/jokster/passenger) here: http://www.spinalpedia.com/blog/2012...with-joystick/
    May the fetus you save be gay

I have the same setup as the van in the video on my Dodge Megacab. The joystick he's using to drive is mounted in the van, not part of his chair.

I'm a c4-5 inc and right arm amputee. I've been driving with this setup since 1993.
    Brian

Mercedes-Benz has a prototype...I don't think it is in production. It doesn't have a steering wheel nor a brake pedal. It can be driven from either side of the front seats as all controls are in between the seats and uses a joystick. The only drawback was the price at over $100,000.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by onrycowboy67 View Post
    I have the same setup as the van in the video on my Dodge Megacab. The joystick he's using to drive is mounted in the van, not part of his chair.

I'm a c4-5 inc and right arm amputee. I've been driving with this setup since 1993.
    any chance you can expand a lil further on your setup? i am looking into a a truck and would like to start driving, but really have no idea where to start. after watching the vid in the first post, i really like the driving modifications but would like to hear some "real world" experiences with it...

thanks!!

I started driving in '94, purchased a caravan with the digidrive joystick driving system, I always wanted to be able to drive a pickup and last year my dream came true, I purchased a Dodge Megacab and with the great state of Oklahoma's help had it modified with the Ryno wheelchair lift conversion and EMC joystick driving system, it works great for me
    Brian

yea, it pretty obvious in the video that its not his chairs joystick hes using.
    - Rolling Thru Life -

pretty impressive. I've heard that guidisimplex has a total driving system which might not even be available in the USA (they are an Italian company after all) which offers joystick driving too.
    Hi there, I'm only 20 years old but I'm creating my own disabled driving organization - it's growing rapidly everyday and currently features hundreds of pages of useful content you can't find elsewhere.

Visit my hand controls website for more information.

Or you can visit my website's blog where I outline what's happening and my plans for the future.

You can also see my story here.

I bought a Volkswagen Multivan that is currently being converted. I will drive it from my wheelchair using the joysteer driving system (http://www.joysteer.ch/index.php?id=8&L=2)
    When my car is finished, I will post some extra photos