Thread: Quickie 646se

Quickie 646se

I've been thinking about getting one. And on the build sheet they offer a Suspension Fork with there 8x2" front tire. Or 9x3" front tire but you can not get the Suspension Fork with the larger front wheel. Which would be a better way to go. Do you think the chair would feel a little unstable at speeds with the smaller front tire and the suspension or not? The 9" would be bigger and no suspenion, but I'm sure a ruffer ride.
    I have a solid frame P300 now. No give but the air in the tires. Been a great chair, but a ruff ride.

I've had both on 646/636's
    8" suspension forks on my 646-se's. Stable smooth ride at full speeds.

9x3 solids on my 636, (same frame). Supprisingly smooth ride for solids. Not as rough as I expected, but not as smooth as the shock forks. Rolls over cracks and curb cuts well. Really superior in soft powdered dirt and wet sinkable type grass.

I prefer the 9x3s over all. 9x3 pneumatics would be a great combo, but I have never had those.
    C3,4,5....no deltoids.

Johntom, Thanks for your input. My P300 has the 10x3" pneumatics, and is very stable. I guess my only real complaint would be when you change direction and the casters are flipping front to back it does really sweep you around. Not a big deal unless your in tight area like my van, then you got to watch. I drive from my powerchair. Any trouble with the shock forks. Spring break, or got weak over time?

Well, I have never heard of a quickie 646 suspension fork spring breaking. I have had both old and new ones. They do not really have a lot of vertical swing motion to break. The fork frame limits the spring travel distance. I have sped off of 6" hard drops by accident and no breaks, even though the forks only flex an inch or so.

In my observations, my ride is mostly smoothed out by my rear suspension. That is where all the weight is. For me, the only benefit of front suspension forks is for small sidewalk bumps like 1/2" and less. Also brick cobblestone becomes as smooth as glass. It makes going fast fun on those surfaces.

Your suspension package will be custom set for your weight at the factory and the weight range labeled inside your battery door.

Maybe some others here can offer info on fork springs breaking or weakening. I'm sure it is possible, but I have never heard of it happening.
    C3,4,5....no deltoids.

Thanks Johntom I think I'm going to give them a try.

Quote Originally Posted by MMcgif View Post
    Thanks Johntom I think I'm going to give them a try.

Suspension forks on the front are the way to go. I had a 646se with them and now have a groove without them and it is terrible. Only because even small thresholds are hard to roll over. Where as with the 646 suspension forks even small curbs were no problem. I highly recommend them

Thanks Josh, I did get to try a 636 with suspension forks this yesterday. That chair in general was so smooth running down the road compared to my P300 solid fame. It did feel werid when stopping having the front end dip down, but I sure with time that would be something you would get use too.