Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chickens & farm raised food..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujDxR...eature=related

As a quad I look at this video with amazement.

No cab on any of our tractors. I can transfer on to our Allis, but will need a lift on our JD 4320, I wanna mount a winch on the ROPS to get me to the fender then I can transfer to the seat. I think I could also use the lift to put my chair on the back so I can take it with me. I'd really appreciate some pics!
    T8/9 (2-24-06)
    IOWA

Back when I was a voc rehab counselor in Michigan we had a farm program where we helped former farmers return to farming. This included in many cases the complete cost of tractor modifications. You had to develop a business plan and this had to reflect that your planned farming activity would be "substantial gainful activity" as opposed to a hobby type farm. I never did one of these cases as we had one counselor who specialized in these types of cases and served about 15 counties.

Yeah, I've worked with the Easter Seals and Agribility of Iowa before. They seem to want to over engineer everything. I already have all the materials to build it, just haven't really had the time or immediate need to build the lift(s) yet. Although next year I hope/plan to farm our home farm (70ish acres), then in 2014 tack on another 40 when our CRP comes out, along with a decent herd of cattle (15 mommas) and feed out all the steers as freezer beef, and a couple acre garden to sell to a CSA and direct market to local restaurants or grocers.

It's coming together, slowly but surely!
    T8/9 (2-24-06)
    IOWA

I'd love to have livestock, but live in a residential area, I have two chickens a buff orpington and a rhode island red plus a worm farm, get eggs plus don't put food in the garbage, recycle it all.
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

The little guys aren't so little anymore... Probably be butchering some in another month or 2. Maybe keep a few around a little longer to make for some good roasting chickens.

T8/9 (2-24-06)
    IOWA

My dream is to have an operating farm again. I grew up on one. I started a business plan to create a "demonstration farm" that would have adapted equipment and accessible farming technique ideas.

It's frustrating, I have enough agriculturally zoned land for a nice urban farm, but its too big of a project for me to take on alone.

You can get voc rehab to pay for a lift like that from life essentials. I farm and can send you some pictures of the tractor lift I made for a Case IH 7120 if you would like. I have to have help from someone to get in the tractor but once im in I go on about my buisness.