Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Open House, Third Thursday July 19

I changed the title to Third Thursday, July 19, for the upcoming Open House. Wise.

Summer Open House
    Exciting Program Thursday, July 19th

If you've never been to a Keck Center Summer Open House, mark your calendar now! This is an event you won't want to miss! Headlining the program will be Dr. Lisa McKerracher who will give an update on Cethrin and the status of these clinical trials. Also featured will be Patrick Rummerfield who will share his story of adventures unimaginable for someone who was told he would never walk, let alone complete the Antarctica Marathon.

Special exhibits on current research will open at 4:45. Vendors will showcase interesting equipment and services, and the very generous Jimmy Jack will provide delicious refreshments. Program starts at 6:00. Parking in front of building in Lot 56, click for directions.
    Last edited by Jim; 07-06-2012 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Added content

If any musicians are coming and want to perform, let me know.

webcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    I changed the title to Third Thursday, July 19, for the upcoming Open House. Wise.

Summer Open House
    Exciting Program Thursday, July 19th

If you've never been to a Keck Center Summer Open House, mark your calendar now! This is an event you won't want to miss! Headlining the program will be Dr. Lisa McKerracher who will give an update on Cethrin and the status of these clinical trials. Also featured will be Patrick Rummerfield who will share his story of adventures unimaginable for someone who was told he would never walk, let alone complete the Antarctica Marathon.

Special exhibits on current research will open at 4:45. Vendors will showcase interesting equipment and services, and the very generous Jimmy Jack will provide delicious refreshments. Program starts at 6:00. Parking in front of building in Lot 56, click for directions.
    Will you do a live webcast of the Open House like last time?

There won't be a webcast of this Open House, sorry.

Very disappointed not to have been able to attend the Open House via webcast. Was it recorded? I was so looking forward to hearing Patrick Rummerfield speak. Would love to hear about it from anyone present.

I was hoping that there would be a webcast like at the previous open house. Is there any other way to hear about what was presented? I would especially like to hear Dr Youngs presentation on his latest news from the clinical trials.

Best regards,
    Christin

Blog Entries
    Wise announced some great clinical trial plans. Wise or Jim, can you recap? Patrick led us through an inspiring trip through his amazing life. Dr. McKerracher on Cethrin rounded out an evening of hope.
    ------------------------------------------------
    And forgive me for failing to mention the super generous Boyd Melson. See his video in Stephen's 7-21 post in the members' "best photo" thread.
    Last edited by Random; 07-22-2012 at 02:57 PM.

I am very interested in seeing it to or hearing a summary as well
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Sorry, the Open House was just too much of a zoo and complicated to do video. There were probably 250 people there. Our students gave tours and there were demonstrations. Several exhibitors were there, including Pat Rummersfeld and groups like Push to Walk, Jersey Shore Hospital, Brunswick Auto (which does car modifications), and others.

For perhaps the first time in several years, Richard Gaskin couldn't come (because he had to babysit) but he graciously allowed us to play the JustADollar video. Boyd Melson gave a talk. Lisa McKerracher gave a wonderful talk about Cethrin and the latest analyses of the clinical trial data. Basically, they applied Cethrin to 48 subjects in the phase I/II trial, mostly within the first week after injury. They used increasing doses of the drug. The best dose appears to be 3 mg and approximately 60% of patients who were ASIA A cervical spinal cord injury that received this dose converted to ASIA C. There was improvement in the segments close to the injury site, both motor and sensory.

Patrick Rumersfeld gave a great talk. He recently wrote a book and he is donating $5 from each book sold in New York and New Jersey to the Keck Center. Even though I have known Pat for many years, I learned all sorts of new things about him. For example, I had never heard him describe his accident in the 1970's. He was in an accident, passenger seat, in a Corvette going over 130 mph. He had a bottle of wine between his leg and the bottle gouged his right eye and damaged his brain. He had a school teacher who spent hundreds of hours teaching him how to talk, read, and write again. He also showed pictures of his Ironman, the Antartica marathon, and his 155 mile Gobi Desert ultramarathon. It was hair-raising. At the end, the audience heaved a sigh of relief.

I described our work in China, summarized what you have already seen here on CareCure and previous talks, and then focused the talk on trials that we are planning in the U.S. I indicated that we have not given up on doing the planned phase 2 trial in Brackenridge Hospital in Austin but that it will be delayed because we need to identify new principal investigators for the study and continue fundraising. I announced that we have decided to initiate a phase II trial in New Jersey. The surgery will be done at UMDNJ in Newark by Dr. Robert Heary, we will be recruiting subjects from the East Orange Veterans Administration Hospital, as well as the spinal cord injury community, and Kessler Rehabilitation Institute will be doing the evaluation and rehabilitation. We are planning to study 20 subjects, all of whom will receive an HLA-matched umbilical cord blood cell transplants and lithium, and then randomized to Cethrin or no Cethrin treatment. I emphasized that this is still in the planning phase, that we need to obtain both US FDA and IRB approval, as well as the funding for the trial.

Wise.