Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Love this!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DestinationUnknown View Post
    Personally I think it's quite rude for a random stranger to even ask such a question. All well, that's just my opinion on the subject, but to those who don't mind sharing personal information with strangers about their disabilities, more power to you.
    I guess I mean I don't mind if they asked politely if I have a placard, or am properly authorized to use the spot personally. Whether I share why this is is only a matter of what I feel like doing, my reaction to the person asking. I do not hold back much, because I'm happy to share my disgust with the irresponsible institutions that did this to me.

Lynnifer, do you use a lift or ramp, or is it manually transferring your chair for which you need more space? I definitely agree with the problem of the van spots being taken, and I thought about different classes of spots for that purpose, where it would be pretty easy to design a sign to make the distinction clear. I have fewer ideas how to make a distinction for a matter of more space for transfering, although I definitely agree that is a valid need. Maybe the distinction could be plain disabled and wheelchair only. But are there other devices that also need more space?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    on second thought, I don't really mean that either. I wouldn't mind somebody asking me, but I would think it would be rude for me to ask someone else. If for some reason I'm really offended, I probably would leave it to to the police.
    Last edited by Random; 03-29-2012 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    I guess I mean I don't mind if they asked politely if I have a placard, or am properly authorized to use the spot personally. Whether I share why this is is only a matter of what I feel like doing, my reaction to the person asking. I do not hold back much, because I'm happy to share my disgust with the irresponsible institutions that did this to me.

Lynnifer, do you use a lift or ramp, or is it manually transferring your chair for which you need more space? I definitely agree with the problem of the van spots being taken, and I thought about different classes of spots for that purpose, where it would be pretty easy to design a sign to make the distinction clear. I have fewer ideas how to make a distinction for a matter of more space for transfering, although I definitely agree that is a valid need. Maybe the distinction could be plain disabled and wheelchair only. But are there other devices that also need more space?

I need the space to transfer out of my car, don't use a ramp but cannot get my chair in the proper position unless my door is fully opened. So I often use the spots marked for ramps because if a car is parked next to mine in a normal space I won't be able to get in my car. If I find a spot at the end of a row I will use that instead of a HC spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Lynnifer, do you use a lift or ramp, or is it manually transferring your chair for which you need more space?
    What T8 said .. I have a 2-door car and I need the space to open the door all the way to position the chair properly to transfer.

As well, I expect to be switching to a van with lift sometime in the next five years so I have a staked interest in this.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I have no problem with the folks with "invisible disabilities" using the spots. However, I have a huge problem with the 85% of the other folks that are taking advantage of the spots.

Is it the doctors faults for issuing placards so easily? For the most part, I'd say yes to that. But, also there's many people using their loved ones sign.

It will never change. People will only think whats good for me. Ultimately, it effect you, me, and even the folks with the "invisible disabilities".

That's my rant.
    Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Crappler View Post
    I have no problem with the folks with "invisible disabilities" using the spots. However, I have a huge problem with the 85% of the other folks that are taking advantage of the spots.

Is it the doctors faults for issuing placards so easily? For the most part, I'd say yes to that. But, also there's many people using their loved ones sign.

It will never change. People will only think whats good for me. Ultimately, it effect you, me, and even the folks with the "invisible disabilities".

That's my rant.
    Peace

I totally agree and you're right it won't change.