Thread: JPG mri images vs. DICOM

JPG mri images vs. DICOM

Today I looked at my mri images using the DICOM software and it is a much a better picture. I have sent the CD with images and the viewing software to Dr. Huang.Have others done this ??

Mike

Mike, when I got my MRI images they came in some strange format (perhaps it was DICOM too) but the CD also contained software for converting the images into more common format. (such as jpg or gif)

Regardless, I'm sure Dr. Huang will be able to read the dicom pictures since you sent him the whole CD. Don't worry aboout it. I hope you made a copy of the CD before mailing it out.

Mike:

I know from talking to CJO that he had his MRIs on-line and I was able to view them from my home PC. If you have any problems, let me know.

PN

Mike, I have multiple copies of the CD !!!

The clarity using this software is incredible and as a diagnostic tool invaluable.

I'm sure Wise is familiar with it.

Mike

Actually, I could not tell the difference between the Dicom & jpg images. But you do have to save the .jpg images in the highest quality possible for the quality to stay the same. I think most software packages try to shrink the file size lowering the quality when saving in .jpg format so you just have to make sure when saving to stay at the highest quality possible. The dicom software does have some nice measuring features but that's about it that I saw.

I only wish that I could get my MRI in a digital format. I asked, and all they said was they could give me film, which I got. Arrgh.

The CD I received has the DICOM viewer software, but it is a limited version. The full version at the mri center which I saw can enhance any area of the image to incredible clarity.The mri center will permit DR. Huang to access the full web version if he chooses to do so.They are really nice people !!!

Mike

Well, looks like it really depends who you ask for things...I called up the MRI records dept. today, and got a shiny new CD with my MRI and the DICOM viewer. Now we're getting somewhere