Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New "Lift Law"

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live

New "Lift Law"

March 15th was the deadline for lifts to be installed in public pools. Just got back from spring break and 1 of the 4 hotels I stayed at actually had a lift that works for both the pool and jacuzzi. Talked to the manager about it and he said they installed it about a month ago to be "compliant".
    Has anyone else actually seen any places that have installed lifts?

i've seen some in hotel pools recently, but not public pools.
    Last edited by Crashbang; 03-23-2012 at 07:55 PM. Reason: not on topic

Though this probably should be in Politics...

There has been a 60 day extension granted.
    But Sen. DeMint, has introduced a bill to nullify the requirement completely.

http://aquamagazine.com/content/post...forcement.aspx
    Doh!

Here is a story on this From SLC... For some reason, they decided to use me in the pictures....
    http://archive.sltrib.com/article.ph...#disqus_thread

It's kind of discouraging reading the comments... lots of attitude that "those people" are just a financial drain on society...

I went to Florida for Spring break this year & our hotel(Marriot) had a lift on all 4 pools & Jacuzzi's. Was amazing to have that luxury!
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
    Though this probably should be in Politics...

There has been a 60 day extension granted.
    But Sen. DeMint, has introduced a bill to nullify the requirement completely.

http://aquamagazine.com/content/post...forcement.aspx
    Why am I not surprised? The Marriott I stayed in last October in Myrtle Beach, NC had an accessible pool.

I just had an able bodied acquaintance tell me that a favorite hotel of hers had closed the pool and hot tub because they preferred not to install lifts (of course, that's not how she worded it). Apparently this was my fault...

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    this is an old post, but what ever happened to the law? Seems they kept pushing back the date and then just forgot about it. Still not very many pools with lifts. I travel a lot and probably a couple dozen different hotels a year and very few actually have lifts and when they do they usually don't work.
    *I see the law says January 31, 2013, but during spring break week I stayed at a couple of places that had no lifts and the local city run "aquatic center" has no lifts.
    Last edited by jschism; 05-25-2013 at 11:04 AM. Reason: add

You can't always tell just by looking - hotels (and other pool operators) can have "non-fixed" (portable) lifts if fixed lifts are not "readily achievable". You may have to ask if they have a lift hidden somewhere. And then of course it'd be nice if it worked, and someone knew how to operate it, and ...

I just want to know who advocated for this law. Of all the legislation we could get passed to make our lives easier, this would be way down the list for me.

What a bizarre law!