Thread: Home Care

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Home Care

I attended and participated in a focus group regarding a home care service that is intersted in starting a service in Aiken, SC., designed to keep seniors and others with health or mobility issues safely in their homes. They have a care model that has a history of success through managing a retirement community in Columbia, S.C. that offers different levels of care from cottages, apartments and a nursing facility. It was a thorough and interesting.

The presenters said each home care employee would be at least a CNA and the company has a training progrom, too. Proapective empoyees are fully vetted includeing criminal check and drug testing. Random drug test are adminiated as weell.

The CNAs will perform bathing, dressing, feeding, light houssekeeping, lawn mowing (subcontraced) running errands and other service as needed/dessired. The home caare specialit requires a three hour minimum.

This service is affiated the the Episcopal Church, but no one is required to be Episcopalian.They are aiming for a cost of $17. 50 per hour, three hour minimum.

Sounds reasonable to me.

I'll keep you posted at this progresses, or not.
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

The cost and minimum number of hours required seems pretty reasonable compared to home health care agencies in my area, east bay, san francisco bay area. Look forward to additional posts with updates.

All the best,
    GJ

The $17.50 is likely CNA care and the rates are considerably higher for RNs. The problem is that CNAs are not permitted to do bowel and bladder care. Also, if you just need them for an hour in the morning and evening to help you get dressed and out of bed, you pay for 3 hours each time. Last, they seldom have backups to replace CNAs who are sick or cannot make it for some other reason. I used one of these agencies for a period after I fractured my leg last summer because Medicare would cover 6-8 weeks. I ended up terminating them early because the aides were so unreliable and there were major communication problems with the agency. I did not find them to be a good option.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Sci 55

I agree with all of what you posted about the unreliability of home care. You are right that they use CNA's and RN demand more $$ per hour.

The company that is looking to provide the service in Aiken is from Columbia. It's Still Hopes the Episcopal Church Retirement Center. If it gets off the ground, a local Episcopal Churh will house the office abd have some oversight.

I am fortunate that I have home health care through the Augusta, Ga. VA hospital Not sure I would need a private agency, but one never knows--the VA rug could be pulled out from underneath me at any time.

Financially,
    Bill Phold
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

nobody needs a cna to do what has been mentioned. background check doesn't mean anything nor does an agency. just be careful. i have found my own help to be much more reliable, dependable, flexible and affordable.

btw, you can do the exact same background check the agencies do, but don't rely on the results.

totally agree with sci55 from my own experiences with agencies.
    Last edited by cass; 03-28-2012 at 12:54 AM.

Waza, sounds like a good deal, maybe it will caught on more in the southern states
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

As a requirement for some funding (Workman's Comp for example) all care HAS to be agency or a family member, so some don't have the choice of private hire unless they are able to privately fund. It can still be a struggle to find good help through these agencies since the CNA's are usually only paid $9/hr of that $17.50. But it's good to know that you can voice concerns through this board Waza! It's a slow path to change but so many could benefit from your input.

I agree with cass.
    True, a background check will only catch major items that have been previously reported. Personal references and your own judgement are always your first and best tool to find the right caregiver.

The background checks can be a joke. We live on a state border and people might have 3 different names or more from marriage and divorces.
    I was able to find a shoplifting record for one on my own.

Background checks are crucial-if unreliable. We were about to hire an aide-perfect, except she was being investigated for murder. We called PD and were told to stay away. We were about to hire another-perfect , except that she had arranged for a thug to "steal" her car and set it on fire so she could collect the insurance. We were tipped off
    through a personal connection. Close call.
    Agencies: We hire LPNs. We advertise, interview, and negotiate salary. Then we route them through an agency which will only pay the minimal CNA wage. We top that off to reach the agreed upon salary. This seems to work for everyone, agency gets reliable, hassel free worker, aide gets SS etc taken out, we get the quality care we cannot get consistently from CNAs whose wages mean they are living on the edge.
    Finbar