Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cure on BBC/Sky News (Article:Paralysed girl takes first steps)

Cure on BBC/Sky News (Article:Paralysed girl takes first steps)

Don't know if anyone was watching tonight, its British channels but there was a 19 year old girl quad in a London Hospital (think she was 8 years post injury)who was shown taking a step from this therapy. She had worked (3 hours a day with a physio for several months) who tries to train her to concentrate her brain to bypass the spinal cord and apparently its working. It was just amazing to her move her leg on the bed.

[This message was edited by seneca on 10-08-03 at 05:14 PM.]

Aurelia is the the story?

Paralysed girl's 'miracle' steps

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...814826,00.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3172726.stm

A teenager who was paralysed from the neck down in a car accident has taken her first steps - despite being told she would never walk again.
    Gemma Quinn, 19, from Woolton, Merseyside, suffered severe spinal injuries in a car accident 11 years ago.

She was told she would always be reliant on a ventilator and a wheelchair.

Gemma said it felt "amazing" to be able to walk again.

Gemma was injured in an accident in north Wales in June 1992 when she was travelling in a car with her father and her sister Gillian.

Gillian suffered a broken back but has since recovered. Gemma suffered a severed spinal cord and was told she would not be able to move anything below her shoulders.

Finding her feet

She told BBC News Online that she had never given up hope she would be able to walk again.

"I've always been looking at ways of getting back on my feet."

I still have a lot of work ahead of me, but I'm more confident than ever now
    Gemma Quin
    Gemma began to make progress when she started a form of body and mind therapy called Mind Instructor in February this year.
    She moved down to London in order to concentrate on the therapy which involves intensive mental exercises, such as focussing on feeling her toes, as well as physical exercises.

"Now I'm starting to see the results."

Gemma said her first steps were unexpected.

"I was quite surprised as I was practising standing and it was a surprise for everyone, including myself.

"But it just came quite naturally."

Results

Gemma, who was awarded a Child of Courage award in 1996, has written a letter of support to actor Christopher Reeve who suffered a similar injury to hers.

She said: "The first time I walked, it was just a couple of steps, the following day it was six. The most I've managed is around 20 steps.

"I still have a lot of work ahead of me, but I'm more confident than ever now."

She has been treated at the Mind Instructor clinic in London by instructor Hratch Ogali. The therapist said Gemma was an "amazing woman".

For her father Mike's recent birthday, Gemma put together a video in which she cycled, kicked a ball, and took her first steps.

She said: "I decided to make the tape to show him my progress and on the very first day I took the steps. He was so excited for me."

Gemma says she does not bear any grudges against the doctors who said she would never walk again.

"I think the results speak for themselves."

But John Cavenagh of the Spinal Research Charity told the BBC: "It's very good for Gemma that she's been able to stand up after all these years, but you couldn't really call it a therapy for spinal injuries in general.

"Really what it's probably doing is unlocking some residual function that she has, that she hasn't been able to make use of before."

I asked here some weeks ago Wise Young if it is possible someone cured by his/her own mind. When we think, neurons make new connections and loose other. By strong thinking it seems possible to make new connections - at least partially. This news proves it.
    However I think it is possible only near the brain, because by thinking you only regulate your brain, not the bottom of your spinal cord. I bet this girl has a lesion near her brain, that is why she is quad. It might not work at T location injuries....
    My guess
    Bubo

Bubo,

This is a common scenario. A patient gets a "severe" spinal cord injury. The doctor tells the patient that no recovery is possible. The patient recovers substantially, more than the doctors predicted. Newspapers call it a miracle. The same has happened to probably hundreds of people on these forums.

Wise.

Stories like this drive me nuts. It feels like the person who recovered is saying she just tried harder than any of us. Well I used to, and often still do, strain for hours to move my legs - don't tell me I didn't try hard enough. People who recover are lucky - THATS ALL!!!!!!!

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow"
    ~ Anon

I have heard about and met several SCIs who are now walking after being paralyzed for many years. I truly believe that some people's cords heal slower than others. I also believe that the only way excercise is going to work is if the muscle is already innervated. I believe that doctor's truly have no idea how long it takes for an injured cord to heal. I don't think mind over matter can cure a SCI. If it did most of us would be healed.

Deb

Originally posted by Aurelia:

Don't know if anyone was watching tonight, its British channels but there was a 19 year old girl quad in a London Hospital (think she was 8 years post injury)who was shown taking a step from this therapy. She had worked (3 hours a day with a physio for several months) who tries to train her to concentrate her brain to bypass the spinal cord and apparently its working. It was just amazing to her move her leg on the bed.
    Who knows. Maybe there is something to this
    type of therapy that may help some people.
    I would think though if this doctor wanted
    press about his therapy..he would have had more then one participant to report on.
    Even as few as ten study models would have
    been more convincing of a story. But who knows?

We have had many dogs though visually confirmed by myelogram to be almost identical
    herniations at the same T level..and exact
    same surgical procedures to decompress the
    cords...all varied recovery.
    Some no return of rear limb function for the
    entire lifespan..some return of complete function within a few days. And everything
    in between also.
    Dogs have no prejudiced towards their disability in anyway. They just do what the body tells them to do. So what is the difference? I would guess severity of the injury to the cord when the disc herniated.
    Velocity of disc material hitting the cord.
    Secondary damages. Disease progression and on and on.

The bottom line is...I don't think any two
    cases even though similar will ever be alike.
    And the remedies won't be either.JMO

If you can dream it..you can
    do it. Walt Disney

Author Topic: テつ* A GIRL who was paralysed from the neck down and told she would never walk again has amazingly taken her first steps.

Max

Member posted Oct 08, 2003 12:31 PM テつ*
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A GIRL who was paralysed from the neck down and told she would never walk again has amazingly taken her first steps.

Gemma Quinn, 19, has walked again - for the first time in 11 years - after eight months of pioneering mind therapy.

She was left with a severed spine following a car crash in 1992.

Doctors told the teenager from Woolton, Merseyside, she would spend the rest of her life on a ventilator and in a wheelchair.

But after her mind therapy Gemma has taken her first steps.

She said: "It feels amazing. I've been so determined to walk and working so hard at it.

"I was told after the accident I would never leave my wheelchair. But I'm determined to make a complete recovery.

"I always had belief that one day things would improve. Now I feel I can do anything I want. It's all within my reach.

"I now have a future - and I can't wait for it."

Gemma was awarded a Child of Courage award in 1996, and went on to win the friendship of Princess Diana.

She made headlines when she wrote a letter of support to Holly-wood star Christopher Reeve, who suffered a similar injury in a show-jumping accident.

Reeve said her letter helped him fight back from the depths of despair.

Gemma's recovery began after she started a form of body and mind therapy called Mind Instructor in February.

She said: "I have been doing exercises eight hours a day.

"It's so tiring but it feels great for my body to be physically tired for the first time in so long."

Gemma has been working with instructor Hratch Ogali. The therapist, who is not a doctor, described her as an "amazing woman".

His work involves teaching both physical and mental techniques to help heal the body.

Armenian-born Mr Ogali claims that by simply talking to patients and getting them to focus on inactive muscles he can help them regain movement.

His sessions cost テ窶堙つ」80 an hour at his private clinic in London's Maida Vale.

Gemma's father Mike recently celebrated his 44th birthday and as a present she sent him a video of her riding an exercise bike, kicking a ball and taking her first step.

She said: "I decided to make the tape to show him my progress and on the very first day I took the steps. He was so excited for me."

Gemma was injured in a car crash in north Wales in June 1992.

She was travelling in a car with her father and sister Gillian.

Gillian had a broken back but recovered. Gemma suffered a severed spinal cord and was told she would not be able to move anything below her shoulders.

But she was determined to prove the doctors wrong.

She soon learned to breathe without a ventilator and to use a 'suck-and-blow' tube to work a word processor.

Gemma went back to school and got good GCSE and A-level results. She also campaigned for spinal research charities and raised テ窶堙つ」100,000.

Gemma said: "I've still got a long way to go, but this progress has made me even more determined. Hopefully I will inspire other people."

Reader Offers---------TravelShop InsuranceShop

Copyright テ窶堙つゥ 2003 Newsquest (Herald & Times) Limited. All Rights Reserved
    Terms of Use
    http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/print/news/5019981.shtml
    Posts: 6238テつ*|テつ*From: Montreal,Province of Quebec, CANADAテつ*|テつ*Registered: 07-25-01

Max

Member posted Oct 08, 2003 12:36 PM テッツソツス
    Paralysed girl takes first steps
    Paralysed girl takes first steps
    22.59PM BST, 7 Oct 2003

A teenager who was paralysed from the neck down has taken her first steps, even though doctors told her she would never walk again.

Gemma Quinn, 19, was left with a severed spine following a car accident 11 years ago.

Doctors told the teenager from Woolton, Merseyside, that she would spend the rest of her life on a ventilator and in a wheelchair.

But after months of therapy Gemma has taken her first steps.

"It feels amazing. I've been so determined to walk and been working so hard at it," said Gemma.

Gemma was awarded a Child of Courage award in 1996, and went on to win the friendship of Princess Diana and footballer Jamie Redknapp.

She made headlines when she wrote a letter of support to actor Christopher Reeve who suffered a similar injury to hers.

Her recovery began after she started a form of body and mind therapy called Mind Instructor in February this year.

She said: "I moved down to London for my therapy. I have been doing exercises eight hours a day.

"It's so tiring but it feels great for my body to be physically tired for the first time in so long."

Gemma has been working with instructor Hratch Ogali who described her as an "amazing woman".

His work involves teaching both physical and mental techniques to help heal the body.

Gemma's father Mike recently celebrated his 44th birthday. As a present she sent him a video of her cycling, kicking a ball, and taking her first step.

Gemma added: "I decided to make the tape to show him my progress and on the very first day I took the steps. He was so excited for me."

The accident in which Gemma was injured happened in north Wales in June 1992. She was travelling in a car with her father and her sister Gillian.

Gillian suffered a broken back but has since recovered. Gemma suffered a severed spinal cord and was told she would not be able to move anything below her shoulders.

"I've still got a long way to go, but this progress has made me even more determined. I'm going to keep doing my therapy and hopefully inspire other people as well," she added.
    http://www.itv.com/news/1695910.html
    Posts: 6238テッツソツス|テッツソツスFrom: Montreal,Province of Quebec, CANADAテッツソツス|テッツソツスRegistered: 07-25-01

this made the TV news here [Australia] last night . typical media beat up ...miracle , hard work etc , with no real information on what is involved .
    thank you ,
    dogger

every day i wake up is a good one .