Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you pee while on a plane?

How do you pee while on a plane?

I have an incomplete SCI and use a wheelchair 100% of the time. I am unable to stand or walk but I don't have to cath. I often fly across country and get concerned that I am going to have to pee before I land. Up until now I have successfully managed 4 or 5 hour flights-but not always comfortably. I was wondering how people in my situation manage long flights. I usually fly smaller aircraft-Southwest for example-and will be doing a full cross country trip in a few weeks.
    "Nothing ventured, nothing gained." - My Grammie

Can you stand to transfer? Do you walk at all? If you can stand, you can get the cabin crew to bring you the on-board aisle chair, transfer to this, have them push you to the on-board bathroom, stand and transfer to the toilet, and then do the reverse to return to your seat. It does take some planning, and certainly is not a good option if you have any urgency when you need to go.

Getting into the bathroom if you cannot stand to transfer, esp. on a 737 is pretty much impossible. Many women who use intermittent cath opt to put in an indwelling catheter for long plane flights.

Many people (AB and disabled) just dehydrate themselves before flying, and hope they can make it across country. That can be a bit risky with delays on the ground and in the air that are common regardless of when and where you fly.

(KLD)

I am in the same situation as you .... but cannot weight-bear.
    I try to do 4-5 hour flights, but last September, I went to Europe.
    I was able to get a seat in the very back middle row and the flight crew kept that horrible little chair in the back. When I had to go, I jumped onto it and they just pulled me to the back where it actually fit through the little door. HUGE Stress relief! That was British Air though. I think it depends on the airline.
    And there's no way to know before you get there as every flight crew is different... and calling ahead (which I tried) was useless because the person on the information line has no idea what you're talking about.

Isn't flying the best?!?!
    Have fun in the molestation/security line too

I fly to Hawaii occasionally and just use a foley catheter for the flight. Its actually quite freeing that I can drink all I want and not worry. When its full,My husband empties the bag into an empty soda plastic bottle under a blanket on my lap. I wear a long skirt. TSA is familiar with these, but they will ask about it.

Quote Originally Posted by darlagee22 View Post
    I fly to Hawaii occasionally and just use a foley catheter for the flight. Its actually quite freeing that I can drink all I want and not worry. When its full,My husband empties the bag into an empty soda plastic bottle under a blanket on my lap. I wear a long skirt. TSA is familiar with these, but they will ask about it.

I second this! no stress or worries..or dehydration!
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

We went to Italy last summer and flew non-stop out of LAX. LONG flight! What I set up for my son is this: I bought a dark burgundy colored twin size fitted sheet. I packed this in a small carry on bag with all of his cathing supplies. When he needed to go, we put the corner of the fitted sheet over his head and draped the rest of the sheet over his body. He was able to cath under the sheet in complete privacy. He would then put his filled bag into a small trash bag and we would take it to the rest room. We also made sure that he sat in the window seat which also allowed him to have more privacy. It all worked out quite well!

it depends on the flight and plane. i try to do stops in between with layovers of at least 2hours so if i need to, i can use the rest room

flying to asia, the planes are HUGE and there is an aisle chair on board so the flight attendants can bring you to the accessible bathroom. quite nice!!! but on domestic flights, you really just need to either wear pads(i do) and go during your layover or once you get to your destination
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Quote Originally Posted by darlagee22 View Post

Using the foley catheter sounds like a great option. Can you insert it yourself or do you have a health provider insert it for you?
    Also, what do you do once you arrive at your destination? Remove it yourself?
    I did have a foley catheter directly after injury for a couple of weeks before I learnt to self-cath.
    The nurses changed it once, after the balloon had deflated on the first one. Once, I learnt to self-cath I thought it wouldn't be too hard to insert a foley catheter myself but I havent thought to ask anyone before now.
    Being prone to UTIs I think I would have to take along a supply of antibiotics too.

You can take it out yourself or with a helper in the airport bathroom.

I have a chance to go to Greece and I've also wondered just how to deal with cathing on a long flight. I know when I need to go but just can't go on my own and def. couldn't hold it for the entire flight.
    SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
    T4,5,6 Incomplete
    Chair: TiLite TR3