Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of this gadget? Possibilities?

New device makes wheelchairs obsolete

Be great for some paras....

http://www.wimp.com/newdevice/
    Brian

ummmm, no. this type of device isn't even innovative. but, whatever. guess it's good people see it but it's hardly a new device that makes wheelchairs obsolete. i have been emailed this website by good intentioned ppl, just like i got them for iBot, electrical (robotic) walking, etc. to me, these make ABs feel better and really don't benefit most who are paralyzed. just my opinion, nothing against you, cboy

Tek RMD - Robotic Mobilization Device

What a joke.. Watch out for rocks and uneven ground.. Oh and you're going to get fat as a tick in one of these. Why haven't they stated that standing is useless unless there is pull/activation of the muscle on the bone while standing. I'm sure there might be some benefit, but this thing is not practical.
    Donnie: Dr. Xiao, What are your thoughts on a cure/combination therapy for SCI's??
    CG Xiao: Donnie, I don't want to disappoint you, but I think it is impossible to restore the continuity of the cord or "bridge the gap" in the near future, let's say: 50 years. Dr Wise Young has been my most respected scientist in SCI. He has dedicated and contributed to SCI no other can match.

No argument here. I find it amazing that real R&D dollars were put into designing and building this contraption.

Old news. We have discussed this here in multiple posts already. Moving this to the main thread.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I'd like to see how someone gets this to work on rough or uneven terrain, makes it up a curb or one step (or even a fairly steep ramp). And what about those who are amputees in addition to having paralysis, or have severe osteoporosis or actual fractures? These are the reasons we rarely use a stand-up transfer devices with persons with SCI as well. There are already less expensive mobile standing frames on the market, but none of them are practical for use outdoors either.

(KLD)
    I find it remarkable, KLD, that you would be so dour on this type of product. Granted, it's limited by the obvious clearance issues, but would be great for moving around the house while getting some standing in. Just being able to reach things would uncomplicate my life greatly.

Reminds me of the idiot director in Hot Springs Arkansas, who after seeing my F-150, said I should "get something sensible"

pfftt...

TekRMD Robotic Mobilization Device

Ok, have you seen this yet? If so, what do you think? It is something different. I like how small and compact it is. I googled how much it might cost, and it looks like around $15,000. Here is the link to it: http://m.wimp.com/newdevice/

That's pretty cool. I could see myself using that around the house. For me, it's a bit slow to use out in public. The benefits of standing that easy is definitely attractive. I do wonder though about the effects it would have on blood pressure standing that quickly.
    INIMITABLE......look it up.

Merged with numerous previous posts on this.

(KLD)