Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of this gadget? Possibilities?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What do you think of this gadget? Possibilities?

A friend just sent me this link. Interesting concept to get around.

http://digg.com/newsbar/Technology/t...hairs_obsolete
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

After watching the video again I think it is an interesting concept with good use for limited applications. My concerns would be a tipover, pressure points and the velcro strap/seat belt buckles. Good use for flat surfaces but impossible to climb stairs with. Another concern is its ability to handle ramps/bumps etc.

Glad to see somebody thinking outside the box though.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

I'd like to see how someone gets this to work on rough or uneven terrain, makes it up a curb or one step (or even a fairly steep ramp). And what about those who are amputees in addition to having paralysis, or have severe osteoporosis or actual fractures? These are the reasons we rarely use a stand-up transfer devices with persons with SCI as well. There are already less expensive mobile standing frames on the market, but none of them are practical for use outdoors either.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I'd like to see how someone gets this to work on rough or uneven terrain, makes it up a curb or one step (or even a fairly steep ramp). And what about those who are amputees in addition to having paralysis, or have severe osteoporosis or actual fractures? These are the reasons we rarely use a stand-up transfer devices with persons with SCI as well. There are already less expensive mobile standing frames on the market, but none of them are practical for use outdoors either.

(KLD)
    looks like it'd be useless on anything but a flat surface... interesting idea but utterly useless for most imho ... but I'm happy to learn I can't piss or crap because I've been sitting too long... silly me I thought it was because I have neuro damage.....

who here stands for a least 1 hr per day as they said? I haven't stood in 20 years

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post

(KLD)
    I find it remarkable, KLD, that you would be so dour on this type of product. Granted, it's limited by the obvious clearance issues, but would be great for moving around the house while getting some standing in. Just being able to reach things would uncomplicate my life greatly.

Reminds me of the idiot director in Hot Springs Arkansas, who after seeing my F-150, said I should "get something sensible"

pfftt...

...not to mention how to transport it.

Funny how they say Yusuf has been injured for 5 years and he isn't using a diferent kind of chair or one that has a cushion on it for that matter. Just another non-practical gimmick to make general AB public think. "wow, that is amazing, so neat to see that others will be able to get around and stand again." If they only actually knew!!

Steering looks mechanically awkward. I'd say indoor hard surface floor only. I don't think it will do well on padded carpet.
    Clearly for a limited range of users. You'd need strength to get over a thick sling. Lateral support looks marginal. That bed transfer is not going to happen on a LAL mattress or memory foam. Don't see how it helps in toileting. Still need to get the sling out from under you and pull down pants.

what kind of coffee/hot water kettle was that?

basic wheelchair concept and design has remained unchanged for centuries. something to be said for that.
    Last edited by Strat; 03-28-2012 at 01:10 AM.
    Every day deserves a little time off.

While I agree with others that this device has limitations, and it certainly won't make wheelchairs obsolete, it does have some intriguing features. I'm glad whenever any company invests time and talent to produce a product to mitigate disability. This device may be the best solution to someone's need. If not, they will look elsewhere.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg