Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What do you think of this gadget? Possibilities?

Its kinda crazy the amount of new threads that get started about this. What is it about this item?! Is it because the marketing saying it will make wheelchairs obsolete? I've even had a bunch of able bodied friends that sent me the link.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    ummmm, no. this type of device isn't even innovative. but, whatever. guess it's good people see it but it's hardly a new device that makes wheelchairs obsolete. i have been emailed this website by good intentioned ppl, just like i got them for iBot, electrical (robotic) walking, etc. to me, these make ABs feel better and really don't benefit most who are paralyzed. just my opinion, nothing against you, cboy
    I agree, this may be useful to a para with money to spare, but it will never replace the wheelchair.
    Gary Is = L-1 Para for 34 years.....................
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida/Mantoloking NJ
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    Its kinda crazy the amount of new threads that get started about this. What is it about this item?! Is it because the marketing saying it will make wheelchairs obsolete? I've even had a bunch of able bodied friends that sent me the link.
    I think it's because that advancements in mobility devices has been stagnant here for decades.

Just my .02

Be Big,
    AMAC
    L4/L5 CES

www.DRAFT.cc
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1024602574

Messages from Alan Maccini and are produced utilizing voice recognition software. As a result of this on occasion a misrecognition of a word will occur and while spelled correctly will result in an unintended word appearing. We apologize for any errors.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyis View Post
    I agree, this may be useful to a para with money to spare, but it will never replace the wheelchair.
    As Cass has stated there in lies the problem. I have yet to see any device that will replace the wheelchair.

Thats poor marketing by ABs for ABs.

That being said I see a lot of devices that would work well along with ones chair. I belive it's short sighted to dismiss these emerging concepts based on old paradigms.

Yes they have a limited target market but if a device is designed for all then it's designed for none.

Again just my .02

Be Big,
    AMAC
    L4/L5 CES

www.DRAFT.cc

Messages from Alan Maccini and are produced utilizing voice recognition software. As a result of this on occasion a misrecognition of a word will occur and while spelled correctly will result in an unintended word appearing. We apologize for any errors.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
    I think it's because that advancements in mobility devices has been stagnant here for decades.

Just my .02

Be Big,
    AMAC
    That only explains the disabled community attention. But why are all the ABs paying it so much attention?
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

That only explains the disabled community attention. But why are all the ABs paying it so much attention?
    I could be that those of able body are terrified of being like us. Lol!

All kidding aside many people of able body think it's all about standing. I'll be the first to say that if you're a "walkie" or can stand for a while then go it. I also belive that if somebody wants to be upright and can afford the technology then why not.

But at the end of the day there is little I can't do from my chair and I can't expect people who have never needed a wheelchair to get that point.

Be Big,
    AMAC
    L4/L5 CES

www.DRAFT.cc

in my 26 yrs of this life, my AB friends sent me all kinds of things that they thought was hope. this kind of attention has tapered off after all these years. what they really cannot understand is i don't care about those things any more. i am in so much pain, i only want enough pain cessation to get in my wheelchair again. that's all.