Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flying

Keep any removable pieces with you! i.e. armrests, footrests and especially your cushion! If you don't the airline will most likely lose them when they throw your chair under the plane and you'll be SOL. I learned this the hard way. And make sure to look for and document all damage done to your chair after flying, report it and make sure the airline pays for the repairs!

We're flying on an Airbus A340-300 on the way out, and a Boeing 747-400 on the way home. He has a TiLite ZRA2, and we plan on taking off the wheels (fingers crossed), cushion, sideguards, and the footplate (I guess...I hadn't thought about taking this off, but it's probably a good idea).

We're trying to avoid the aisle chair, as we haven't read too many positive things about them. We're on "high priority" to get a first row seat, which would mean he could transfer into the seat directly from his own chair.

I don't take off anything that requires a screwdriver or a hex wrench. I take my cushion on the plane, and that's it. Wheels, seat upholstery, footplate, sideguards all take their chances in the hold.

You can try asking to store the wheels in the first class closet.

Good luck with the direct transfer, but the aisle chair isn't the end of the world, either.

Quote Originally Posted by acleyba View Post
    We're flying on an Airbus A340-300 on the way out, and a Boeing 747-400 on the way home. He has a TiLite ZRA2, and we plan on taking off the wheels (fingers crossed), cushion, sideguards, and the footplate (I guess...I hadn't thought about taking this off, but it's probably a good idea).

We're trying to avoid the aisle chair, as we haven't read too many positive things about them. We're on "high priority" to get a first row seat, which would mean he could transfer into the seat directly from his own chair.
    I think you are worrying too much. I fly all the time, just take my cushion and sideguards with me (I have a ZRA as well), and simply fold down the back. It goes into cargo and is sitting there when I get of (19 times out of 20) They do this a lot.

Also having a "first row seat" doesn't mean you can load from your chair. Depends on how they attach the jetway to the plane. Don't sweat the aisle chair, its a pain but not that bad.

I imagine I am worrying too much, but that's what I do. I expect this will get easier, but this is the first flight post-SCI. I know we'll figure it out and all will be well, but I'm a classic Type A personality who likes to have plans A-Z in place before we step out the door

Quote Originally Posted by acleyba View Post
    I imagine I am worrying too much, but that's what I do. I expect this will get easier, but this is the first flight post-SCI. I know we'll figure it out and all will be well, but I'm a classic Type A personality who likes to have plans A-Z in place before we step out the door
    Yeah, I was nervous the first time I flew after my accident as well. I see from your profile your husband is a T4. I am a T8 and fly every six weeks alone. Couple tips:

1. get there early, tell them at the gate you need an aisle chair.
    2. I like window seats in coach and aisle in business.
    3. They reserve the first row for people with disabilities. I HATE those rows, the arm rests are fixed and are a bitch to transfer over. I usually get 1 row back from the first row window, that way I can transfer over easy and people don't have to climb over me. In business it doesn't matter where you sit but the window seats are hard to get to because of the big center console.

- Some people sit on their cushions, I don't but I do bring it on the plane with me.
    - The seats wreak hell on my pain/spasticy I usually bring extra meds.

Have fun.

flying

Agreed

I flew Virgin Atlantic, London to Cape Town (12hrs) last year and they were very helpful. I sat on my own cushion, used an aisle chair and my wheelchair was stored Business class for me. So I'd be happy to recommend them.