Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: pain, pain, pain, see what's become of me

Pain is increadibly frustrating. Has anyone else more or less given up of finding that certain med that will make your pain more tollerable??

The meds out there really don't seem at all adequate to reduce neurogenic/neuropathic pain from spinal cord injuries...

I guess that I am lucky, and it has taken me since my injury to get to this point, but I take oxycontin 40mg 2X/day and gabopentin 300mg 3X/day and 10mg oxycodone IR for breakthrough, which I really only seem to need for high stress and/or excessive activity days lately, and aside from an occasional flare up, my pain hasn't been very bad at all. Knock on wood... Before the Gabopentin I was having lots of breakthrough, but with it my pain seems to be more leveled out.

How has taking oxycontin and oxycodone IR for neurogenic pain gone? Any drowsiness? Is breakthrough pain just a term for severe, strong pain?

I am losing my preserved sensation, and function (though I never used it well, as you guys have) by the day, due to the non-syrinx ongoing scar tissue formation in my neck that can't be treated. My brain says my skin and muscles are turning to stone, and that all the bones in my back are sharp and protruding through skinned, burning flesh which they rip with any movement (plus what it says about the rest of me. My spine has more twists than a Tom Clancy novel. It has to end, yet I am incapable. My kingdom for a guiotinne, and someone to use it. <sigh>

Gee, this only took 13 minutes.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleP2112 View Post
    How has taking oxycontin and oxycodone IR for neurogenic pain gone? Any drowsiness? Is breakthrough pain just a term for severe, strong pain?
    I have been taking Oxycodone since November after a surgery but found it worked wonderful for my joint and muscle pain ... but then I went back to work and found it gave me a bit of 'fuzzy brain' even though I was just taking it at night.

Switched to Tramadol but have yet to try it.

Nothing for neuro pain but I don't have it bad enough to warrant a medication for it - yet.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Any "fuzzy brain" feeling w/ Tramadol? Does it helps w/ the tingling, stabbing neurogenic pain much?
    Thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by KyleP2112 View Post
    Any "fuzzy brain" feeling w/ Tramadol? Does it helps w/ the tingling, stabbing neurogenic pain much?
    Thanks..
    Kyle, I don't have a tramatic SCI, but I had a virus migrate into my spinal cord & brain stem several years ago. My body's defenses attacked the virus and my own spinal cord tissue as well. Until I finally was hospitalized and got treatment, my cord was swollen almost to the full extent of the dura, over its entire length. This inital problem was "fixed", but I have permanent central nerve pain that affects my left half from armpit to toes. My left arm had the worst of it, with repetitive electric shocks the entire length, overy 8 seconds. My left side, front, & back felt like it was in a vice and I had been stabbed in many places.
    I now take 3600 mg Gabapentin and 300 mg Lyrica a day, along with one 10 mg Amitriptyline at bedtime. After much experimentation, I have found that the Gaba and the Lyrica are much more effective if broken into multiple doses per day. I split the dosages into four and take them at 9 am, 3 pm, 9pm, and 3 am. I set two alarms...one for 3 am and one for 9 am. The pills and a glass of water are on my nightstand, so I grab the capsules and then go right back to sleep (probably thanks to the amitriptyline).
    The reason I want to tell you this is that with this regime I have been able to function much more normally than before. I cannot tell you that my pain has been eliminated, but it has been reduced and is much more tolerable. I really feel that 6 hours is - for me - the maximum period of effectiveness of these medications. I do sleep more with these meds, but as my body has adjusted to them, the brain fog has diminished. I have to watch for fatigue and adjust my schedule accordingly. I have allodynia in my left forearm, and my midsection front, side, & back, but with these meds, even it has been reduced. It took me only a year to get to the max dosage of Gaba. I tried Tegretol but it made me suicidal. I got weaned off the Tegretol and started Lyrica six months ago and have not had any issues.
    The point is that you have to give these meds a good chance to work, you have to work with your Dr to find the correct dosage, and you have to determine how to split the doses to maximize their effectiveness for you.