Thread: Would Dr. Huang oeg procedure help someone who had a spinal bleed

Would Dr. Huang oeg procedure help someone who had a spinal bleed

Wise,

I would like to know if Dr. Huang's OEG Procedure would help my daughter who had a spinal bleed at level T12-L1, we are not sure if the blood traveled all the way down to the cauda equina. Would he be able to inject OEG cells into her spinal cord at t12-l1 and then inject into the cauda equina?

Thank you,

JAL

Jal, I don't think that there is any experience with the use of OEG in hemorrhage-induced spinal cord injury, either in animals or humans. Does your daughter have spasticity? The reason why I ask is to guess the extent to which the hemorrhage damaged neurons in the spinal cord. OEGs, at least in theory, does not or should not be able to replace neurons. On the other hand, I must say that there is a lot that we don't understand about what OEG's do. Wise.

Thank you Wise for getting back to me so quickly it was a question that I did hesitate to ask. Unfortunetly, she does not have any spasticity. I quess that would mean the damage was quite extensive. You did mention to us in a previous e-mail that stem cells is probably what she will need. She continues to work out everyday, by riding her bike and walking with crutches and we also had her swimming this summer. We are hoping something will happen. I have never heard of anyone with a spinal bleed that did get return. Have you?

Thank you.

Jal, sorry. Of course, I remember your daughter. The lack of spasticity does not mean complete loss of neurons in the lumbosacral spinal cord. It just means that the neurons have not rewired in the lower spinal cord to the point where they are abnormally active. However, if she does not have any voluntary movement or sensation, and no spasticity, there has been some damage to the lumbosacral spinal cord. To tell for sure, she would need detailed electromyographic and reflex testing. Unfortunately, there are relatively few places in the United States that possess the expertise to do this any more. At one point, Milan Dimitrijevic's center at Baylor was the best place in the world to get such testing and he is the most experienced neurologist in this field. He retired a number of years ago and has set up a human spinal cord laboratory in Vienna (Austria). I also know that he had helped established a very good human spinal neurophysiology laboratory in Taiwan.

Regarding recovery from ischemia to the spinal cord, I do know some people who have recovered. It depends on the severity of injury to the spinal cord. Many people who recover probably don't realize that they had ischemia to the spinal cord. Of course, there are also many who have not recovered.

For people who have had damage to neurons in the spinal cord, some kind of neuronal replacement therapy will probably be needed. At the present, the only way that I know of replacing neurons in the spinal cord is through neural stem cells. Some laboratories working on this problem. Gearhart is doing it with fetal germ cell line stem cells. Ira Black is trying to do with with bone marrow stem cells. As you may know, there are already two bone marrow transplant clinical trials that have started... one in Brazil (Tarcisio and Erica Barros) and more recently in the Czech Republic (Dr. Sykova). The animal studies have not yet provided convincing data but it would be of interest to see what these trials show.

Wise.

What kind of spinal bleed did your daughter have? I had an AVM inside the cord that burst and the resulting blood clot ended up compressing my cord to one third of its normal size. I had surgery to remove the clot and the AVM, and had substantial return within the first six months or so, after which my recovery tapered off.

Steph

Hi Kitten,

My daughter had a cavernous malformation which bled in her spine also, she bled at t12,l1 level
    she had the blood clot removed three weeks after her bleed, but she did get return to her abs and her hip flexors, we are not sure if she is complete. She does ride a spin bike and can walk with crutches and a walker, with her braces.She is mainly in the wheelchair. That is wonderful you regained return, what level was your injury? How much return have you gotten back?

JAL

[This message was edited by Jal on 09-30-03 at 02:26 PM.]

My injury was at T8, and the blood clot caused me to lose all muscles below the waist (roughly) except for an ankle twitch and a slight quadriceps contraction in the right leg, and about 30% of sensory below the injury site. After the recovery period, I regained the majority of the muscles at a level 3 or above (on a 0 - 5 scale, 0 being nonexistent and 5 being normal) with the worst ones in the left leg. I walk with crutches and sometimes with an AFO, although the AFO bothers my calf muscles after a while. Sensory did not seem to get better, from what I recall.

Steph