Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paras and Dr. Huang

Paras and Dr. Huang

Does anyone know when or if Dr. Huang will be doing anyone with a T level soon????

Judy,

Good question.

I read in Tim and Bob's post where they observed a t5 and t12 one month post surgery, good results

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
    Gandolf the Gray

We want precise answers regarding the benefits to paraplegics that may come out of this surgery?

Dr Nader

DrNader, perhaps it is best to wait for the publication of the results. In his lecture, Dr. Huang presented many cases of thoracic spinal cord injuries. Perhaps a third of his cases were thoracic. Wise.

[This message was edited by Wise Young on 09-26-03 at 09:39 PM.]

we need one of us to go.

A care.cure para

screw waiting for publishing!

sorry Wise

Red, I understand. All of us are awaiting the published results. Unfortunately, that publication also will not contain all the data that we seek because long-term followup data on the patients are still being collected and the first paper will not provide those results. What that first paper will do is to say that there is early recovery within 6 weeks in most patients and that procedure has had very little morbidity and mortality. It will also provide a listing of the the first 170 or so patients, their levels, ASIA classification and scores before and within hospital change of these scores.

The decision to have OEG transplants should be based on how much benefit the procedure provides relative to the risk of the procedure. That is why waiting for the information is important. Let me try to give some concrete scenarios, to illustrate how the information will influence people's decisions. There is no question that if the results show that 80% of the patients with complete spinal cord injuries are walking as a result of a procedure that has no significant morbidity or mortality, everybody should be getting the procedure. But, that is not a likely scenario. More likely scenarios include the following.

Let us assume optimistically that the long-term results will show that 80% of the patients regained an average of four sensory dermatomes and partial recovery of two motor levels below their preoperative level. Let us further assume that partial motor recovery means getting 2 motor points per muscle. In other words, a person who has weak wrist extensors (C6) with a muscle score of 1 (flicker) gets slightly stronger with a score of 3 (anti-gravity), i.e. a score gain of 2. Let us further say that the person gets movement of triceps (from zero to a score of 2) and that pinprick sensation improves from C8 to T4. Would people consider this degree of recovery sufficiently worthwhile to warrant the cost and risk of surgery? Some might, others may not.

There may also be differences between thoracic and cervical spinal cord injuries. Let us take the example of a person with a T6 injury. Before the procedure, the person has feeling down to umbilicus (T10). Suppose optimistically that the procedure restores some sensation so that the person gets nearly normal feeling in the bladder, gets sensations in much of the leg, better bladder sensation, but still cannot go to the bathroom on his or her own. Further, let's say that 30% of the patients get ability to flex their hips and abduct the legs, and can walk short distances with crutches and leg braces. Would this be worthwhile?

Finally, there is the question of how many patients would get how much recovery. Suppose that only 40% of the patients recover this much function after the procedure rather than 80%. If most patients would not get as much as what is described in the example above. Would this be sufficient benefit to warrant to risk and cost of surgery?

Every person will have to decide for themselves whether the benefit is worth the risk and cost. Unfortunately, little or no long-term recovery data is available. There is little basis for a decision. Finally, I want to point out that it is very likely that this procedure will improve with experience. I have already seen significant improvements in Dr. Huang's approach between last December and August. I think that there will be even more improvements between now and spring. That is why I have been urging people to be patient. The information will be coming out.

Wise.

[This message was edited by Wise Young on 09-27-03 at 02:46 PM.]

Again sorry Wise I didn't mean to sound "reckless".

I definately agree with everything you said.

I think we should wait a while for those who are htere now to see there full recovery.

I would like to see a para have the procedure done before next summer...possibily even my self.

everyone will have to make their own decisions as you pointed out. I will not wait for long-term results only short term based soley on the recovery of those we know personaly who had the opperation ie.handi-bob,tim, and cjo.

Dr. Young,
    Thank you! I can't imagine how difficult this week has been for you. The care you demonstrate in providing opportunity for all of us to learn, must certainly extend to caring about the possible consequences of how this information is utilized, but as we all know, once the pros and cons are applied to each individual's situation, it is an individual repsonsiblity. I hear what you are telling us and I'm sure most others do to. I thank you for your practical application - the C6 and T6 examples of optimistic recovery. This provides a concrete perspective. You are greatly appreciated!

Hey Red, We have glomae who is t12-l1, if all goes right we're heading in april.

BTW, What we need just as much is for ALL to email the sponsors and co-sponsors of CR Bill and get it passed NOW. I love to travel but rather it be under differant circumstances.

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
    Gandolf the Gray

[This message was edited by Leo on 09-27-03 at 03:47 PM.]