Thread: Concerning vertebral damage and Dr. Huang's proceedure

Concerning vertebral damage and Dr. Huang's proceedure

Does the amount of damage to a person's vertebra come into play when being considered for Dr. Huang's proceedure? For example, my husband's vertebra from T2 to T10 were crushed. No corrective efforts were made. He has no hardware in his back. His spine is severely deformed now. I was just wondering if that much vertebral damage would be a problem. Thanks for your help! Carol

Hi Piglet, i'm c/4/5 but sound like same condition, just gotta get those mri's and let him answer your question,

good luck

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
    Gandolf the Gray

Thank you for your response Leo. It will be a while before this will be an option for us, in several ways, but I didn't want to even dream if the severe damage he has would mean a definite "no" right off that bat. Like you say, an MRI will tell. I guess we will wait on that a while as we cannot consider this any time soon anyway. But, since you say your injury is similar that gives me hope that perhaps my husband may be a candidate someday too. I wish you all the best and good luck when you make your trip to China!! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers! Thanks again! Carol

Piglet, why did your husband not have his spine fused and/or some hardware put in to stabilize?

Is this still an option? If his spine is severely deformed now... wouldn't it get worse over time? And isn't it painful?

Piglet, as you know, your husband has two problems. One is the spinal deformity and the other is the spinal cord injury. The two problems may have to be addressed separately. The deformity, if it is compressing the spinal cord, probably should be fixed first. At the beginning, Dr. Huang indicated that he would decompress first and then transplant some time later. Now, he is starting to do decompression and transplantation in the same procedure. However, much depends on the nature and severity of the deformity.

Wise.

mk99

My husband received other extensive injuries in his accident besides the spinal crush. Ruptured spleen, TBI, multiple broken/crushed bones, massive internal bleeding. He was in a coma for a while. It was determined that he would not survive surgery to his spine. And yes, he is in a great deal of pain most of the time. A doctor he was seeing 3 years ago, did suggest surgery to try to eliminate some of the pain, but my husband felt as long as he could bear the pain, he would put off surgery. Thank you for your concern.
    Carol

Carol,

If his spinal cord is still compressed (which seems to be likely if he had no spinal surgery at the time of injury), he should consider surgery to decompress the spinal cord. This probably would be necessary before any transplant is done.

Wise.

Dr. Young

Thank you for your response. This makes what were facing more clear. My husband's spine is in pretty bad shape. I suppose to start we need to find an SCI doctor here in Alabama and have some evaluation. He has not had one in a long time. I worry that in this state it may be hard to find someone who will be open to assisting us in preparing for the possibility of Dr. Huang's proceedure due to the source of the OEG material. I'm going to write a post requesting references. If you have any collegues in Alabama, I would appreciate your input. Thank you very, very much. Carol

Dr. Young,

I just read your last post to me. Thank you very much. I will talk to my husband about this, and like I said in my last post to you, we have to find a doctor. Thanks again! Carol