Thread: Augmentation Cystoplasty Bladder Surgery

Augmentation Cystoplasty Bladder Surgery

Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 03-18-2012 at 11:20 AM.

I have moved your post to the correct forum for this type of discussion.

I believe you are asking about a augmentation CYSTOPLASTY (not custoplasty). I corrected this in your title. This procedure is not uncommon in people with SCI, although with the advent of Botox treatment, we are doing many fewer of these surgeries.

Do you have a SCI or other cause of a neurogenic bladder? Have you been tried on Botox? It would be very helpful if you would complete your user profile.

This is a big surgery. You will have to have a bowel prep prior to the procedure. The surgery usually takes 3-4 hours. When you return from surgery, you will have a NG tube in your nose, and at least one catheter in your bladder. You may also have ureteral catheters. Post-operative paralytic ileus of the bowel may last 4-7 days, during which time you cannot have anything by mouth, including meds, and will have the NG tube to suction. If the ileus lasts more than 5 days, IV TPN feeding is strongly recommended or the healing of the incisions can be put in jeopardy. 10-14 days in the hospital is not unusual. It can take 4-6 weeks to get back onto a dependable bowel regimen after surgery.

You can find many posts here about this by using the search function at the top of the page.

Are you also having a Mitrofanoff procedure done at the same time?

(KLD)

Thank you so much for your reply. English is my second language and it is very difficult for me to describe the procedures and complications I have encountered from my surgeries/procedures. I am going through my 14th surgery/procedure feauting a failed surgery that caused particular damage to my nerves, muscles around my bladder, and etc. I have a medtronic Interstim Implant. My very last procedure was the botox procedure, which had no effect on me whatsoever. I have had my last 13 surgeries/procedures at the UCLA's Urological Department. Every surgery, procedure, medication, or otherwise, has seen no positive response from me in terms of improvement.

To be honest with you, I am not sure what Ileus or Mitrofanoff is... I had my doctor explain what each procedure does, and as difficult as it was for me to remember the specifics, I unfortunately could not remember the names of specific parts of the procedures that have been and will be done to me.

I'm a bit scared of doing this surgery because I live with my son, who works full time, and I am home by myself throughout the day. Any advice, input, or opinion(s) would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Since after an augmentation you would need to do self-intermittent catheterization 4-6X daily, a Mitrofanoff may be a good idea, esp. for women. This creates a conduit (usually using your appendix) from your bladder to a stoma on your abdomen (usually at your belly button) through which you can catheterize yourself. This is much easier than doing it through the urethra for women. Has your physician discussed this with you?

An ileus is when your bowel is temporarily paralyzed, a common complication of bowel surgery. Until it wakes up again, you cannot eat, and will have to have a NG tube in your nose to suck out all your stomach contents.

(KLD)