Thread: Upgrading to larger wheels

Upgrading to larger wheels

So I'm thinking I'm gonna go up to 25" from my current 24". I can adjust the dump in my chair... no foreseeable problem there. I transfer in front of the tire, but I don't think the extra inch will hinder me. I know about easier access to tires and tubes via bike shops. I spend about half my time pushing off-road, on big hills, gravel, etc... and the other half on smooth urban terrain. I have already done a search and read the archived threads... But I'm wondering what ya'll who've gone bigger have to say about it? Did it make it easier to hop the curbs? Push up the hills? What drawbacks have yall experienced? BTW, I'm about 5'8 or 5'9.
    Thanks-Mutton

Quote Originally Posted by mutton View Post
    So I'm thinking I'm gonna go up to 25" from my current 24". I can adjust the dump in my chair... no foreseeable problem there. I transfer in front of the tire, but I don't think the extra inch will hinder me. I know about easier access to tires and tubes via bike shops. I spend about half my time pushing off-road, on big hills, gravel, etc... and the other half on smooth urban terrain. I have already done a search and read the archived threads... But I'm wondering what ya'll who've gone bigger have to say about it? Did it make it easier to hop the curbs? Push up the hills? What drawbacks have yall experienced? BTW, I'm about 5'8 or 5'9.
    Thanks-Mutton
    My experience moving from 24" to 25" is great, i will never go back to 24 again, going up curbs is a bit easier, about pushig up hills i don`t feel any different, is not harder for me. But i feel with them that when i push them i am moving, with the 24 i just feel i`m pushing.

Anyway if you ride a lot in off-road, 25" are your wheels, because you could fit in your rims all the mtb 26" tires, because the are the same 559.

Here are 5 pages of tires that will fit in your 25" wheels.

I did it and am glad I did. I'm 6'2" and it feels better.

Pat

I started with 540mm Spinergy rims, on the advice of my inpatient OT. She said they were easier to push, do less shoulder harm, and generally operate with more agility.

Once I went up to 559mm rims I realized she was not very good at her job, at least as far as helping people spec wheelchairs is concerned!

559 rims provide much better performance, for me. Maybe they turn slower, maybe they take a little more oompf to get them rolling, but feel like they preserve that energy better and I push much less frequently.

Smoother rolling, too, over little bumps.

YMMV.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

24" are easier to get going less momentum; 559's take more to get going but have greater momentum once they get going. I'm 6'2" and will never go back to a 540.

It may be why most OT's want us to start out with 540's.